AAC foes will collide when the Temple Owls (15-11, 7-7 AAC) go head-to-head with the Houston Cougars (20-5, 10-3 AAC) at Liacouras Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 141 points with Houston opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 18, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Houston Cougars vs. Temple Owls Betting Preview
The last time the Cougars played, they beat the No. 5 Cincinnati Bearcats, 67-62. With 16 points and 10 rebounds, Devin Davis put together a solid game for Houston. The Cougars held the Bearcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 (below their season average of 39.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.432 (below their season average of 0.518).
The Owls are trying to rebound after their 93-86 loss to the No. 19 Wichita State Shockers in their last game. Obi Enechionyia led Temple in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-9 shooting. One of Wichita State’s largest strengths was getting to the charity stripe. They had 29 free throw attempts, while Temple had just 14.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the nations slowest-paced teams clash. Temple currently ranks 286th in possessions per game (67.4) and Houston is 258th (68.0). Also, the Cougars, who rank 38th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.2 percent), will go head-to-head against the Owls, who rank 322nd in defensive rebounding percentage (67.2 percent).
Of Houston’s 21 games with betting action, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 14 of Temple’s 26 games have finished over the projected point total. The Cougars hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (20-5 vs. 15-11), but the Owls have the better against the spread (ATS) record (15-11 vs. 12-9).
Shizz Alston Jr. has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Temple, averaging 15.6 points and 5.8 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 149 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 151. The Cougars won 76-73, but were unable to cover as 8-point favorites. The Cougars dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 41.2 and a free throw rate of 0.230. The Owls put up marks of 20.0 and 0.183, respectively, for those same stats. Breaon Brady scored a game-high 21 points.
Houston Cougars vs. Temple Owls Odds Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – Houston, O/U – Over
- The Owls average 23.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 94th in the nation. The Cougars rank 101st in three pointers allowed per game (20.9).
- Houston allows the 38th-fewest steals per game (5.2) while Temple ranks 43rd (5.3).
- Houston is 5-7 ATS on the road, while Temple is 5-6 ATS at home.
- The Cougars have 6 overs and 6 unders in 12 road games.
- The Owls have 7 overs and 4 unders in 11 home games.
- Houston averages 39.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 28th in the NCAA. Temple ranks 247th in rebounds allowed per game (37.9).
- The Cougars rank 24th in assists allowed per game (11.0) while the Owls rank 142nd (13.5).
- Houston ranks 42nd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Temple ranks 87th (3.2).
- Temple is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Owls average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (7.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.4 points per game (3.4 below their season average).