Expect a low-scoring game when the Houston Cougars (10-2) and South Florida Bulls (7-6) go head-to-head at USF Sun Dome. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 135.5 points with Houston set as a 15-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
Houston Cougars vs. South Florida Bulls Free Preview
The last time the Cougars played, they were victorious over the Providence Friars, 70-59. Rob Gray Jr. was Houston’s leading scorer with 24 points on 7-for-16 shooting. Houston dominated every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.7 (below their season average of 36.3) and a turnover percentage of 13.0 (better than their season average of 17.2). For those same stats, Providence was 22.5 and 15.9, respectively.
The Bulls come in on a high note after just getting past the Charlotte 49ers in their last game, 78-76. South Florida was lifted by Tulio Da Silva, who was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 10-for-15 shooting. The Bulls, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2, had a ridiculous mark of 35.3 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.556 (above their season average of 0.484).
South Florida might struggle to score as they square off against one of the nations best defenses. Houston ranks 62nd in defensive efficiency, while the Bulls rank 274th in offensive efficiency.
Games including these teams tend to go under the projected point total. Houston games have finished under 62.5 percent of the time, while South Florida games have finished under 66.7 percent of the time. The Cougars come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-2 SU and 5-3 ATS, while the Bulls are 7-6 SU and 3-5-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Cougars won the lone game last season, 70-56. Houston’s 0.518 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over South Florida, who had a mark of 0.373.
Houston Cougars at South Florida Bulls Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – South Florida, O/U – Under
- The Cougars rank 180th in three pointers attempted per game (20.8) while the Bulls rank 246th (17.5).
- Houston ranks 107th in steals per game (6.5) while South Florida ranks 115th in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- On the road, Houston is 3-3 ATS with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, South Florida is 2-4 ATS with 5 unders and 1 over.
- Houston ranks 25th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while South Florida ranks 125th (13.4).
- The Cougars rank 32nd in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Bulls rank 122nd (3.8).
- Houston ranks 40th in rebounds per game (39.4) while South Florida ranks 120th (36.5).
- South Florida is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bulls have outscored opponents by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, South Florida has been defeated by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 80.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (0.3 above their season average).