The Houston Baptist Huskies (4-8) will try to end a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head against the Vanderbilt Commodores (3-7) at Memorial Gym. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Houston Baptist Huskies vs. Vanderbilt Commodores ATS Preview
The Huskies were blown out by the No. 2 Michigan State Spartans in their last contest, 107-62. Ian DuBose had a solid performance for Houston Baptist, contributing 10 points and six rebounds. Michigan State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.732 (above their season average of 0.553). Houston Baptist, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.3 vs. 16.6).
In the Commodores last matchup, they were blown out by the No. 5 Arizona State Sun Devils, 76-64. Saben Lee led Vanderbilt in scoring with 24 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Arizona State did a great job of converting from the free throw line (21-28; 75.0 percent). Vanderbilt, meanwhile, forced the Sun Devils into a turnover percentage of 19.7 (above their season average of 14.1).
The aggressive Vanderbilt offense could be living from the foul line in this contest. The Commodores rank 10th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.330, while Houston Baptist ranks 290th in FTA rate allowed (0.288). It will also be a showdown of contrasting styles as the fast-breaking Huskies rank 19th in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Commodores rank 298th.
Houston Baptist Huskies at Vanderbilt Commodores Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Houston Baptist, ATS Winner – Houston Baptist, O/U – Over
- The Commodores rank third in steals allowed per game (4.1) while the Huskies rank 67th (5.8).
- Vanderbilt averages 3.2 blocks per game, which ranks 117th in the NCAA. Houston Baptist ranks 155th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Vanderbilt ranks 51st in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while Houston Baptist ranks 250th (27.1).
- The Huskies rank 44th in assists per game (16.3) while the Commodores rank 225th (10.8).
- Houston Baptist ranks 11th in rebounds per game (41.8) while Vanderbilt ranks 128th (36.3).
- The Commodores average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (6.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.4 points per game (7.0 below their season average).