The No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (9-1) welcome the Houston Baptist Huskies (4-7) to Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The Spartans will attempt to prolong their eight-game winning streak. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017.
Houston Baptist Huskies at Michigan State Spartans Betting Preview
The Huskies had no trouble getting past the Barclay Bears in their last outing, 100-65. With 16 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds, Braxton Bonds led the way for Houston Baptist with his zeroth triple-double of the year. Houston Baptist dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 54.2 (above their season average of 35.8) and a free throw rate of 0.253 (above their season average of 0.213). For those same stats, Barclay was 12.5 and 0.138, respectively.
In the Spartans last matchup, they blew out the Southern Utah Thunderbirds, 88-63. Michigan State received a boost from Jaren Jackson Jr. who was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 3-for-7 shooting. Michigan State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.390 (above their season average of 0.249) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (below their season average of 38.5). Southern Utah put up marks of 0.154 and 23.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Michigan State could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense goes up against one of the nation’s worst defenses. The Spartans rank 49th in offensive efficiency, while Houston Baptist ranks 268th in defensive efficiency.
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving Houston Baptist have gone over 100.0 percent of the time, while Michigan State games have gone under 55.6 percent of the time. The Spartans come into this game with a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-1 SU and 6-5 ATS, while the Huskies are 4-7 SU and 1-1 ATS.
David Caraher has been exceptional over the last five games for Houston Baptist, averaging 15.6 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
Houston Baptist Huskies at Michigan State Spartans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Houston Baptist, O/U – Over
- The Huskies average 6.6 steals per game, which ranks 114th in the nation. The Spartans rank 141st in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- Michigan State averages 18.8 assists per game, which ranks ninth in the NCAA. Houston Baptist ranks 168th in assists allowed per game (15.9).
- The Spartans rank second in blocks per game (8.3) while the Huskies rank 136th (3.5).
- Michigan State averages 43.7 rebounds per game, which ranks seventh in the NCAA. Houston Baptist ranks 88th in rebounds allowed per game (35.5).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 20.0, up from 18.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 82.4 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.2 points per game (13.2 below their season average).