The Houston Baptist Huskies (5-17, 1-8 SthLnd) will try to end their 12-game road losing streak when they clash against the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (17-4, 6-2 SthLnd), who look to prolong their 12-game home winning streak. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Houston Baptist Huskies vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks ATS Preview
The Huskies fell to the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders in their last game, 79-69. With 24 points on 9-for-20 shooting, David Caraher was Houston Baptist’s leading scorer. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi had a better free throw rate (0.230 vs. 0.156). Houston Baptist, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (15.5 vs. 15.5).
In the Lumberjacks last matchup, they topped the Sam Houston State Bearkats, 82-66. Stephen F. Austin was led by Ty Charles, who had 20 points and nine rebounds. The Lumberjacks had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.723 (above their season average of 0.531) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (35.0 vs. 27.8).
There could be a fair amount of transition action in this battle that showcases two of the NCAA’s more up-and-down teams. Stephen F. Austin ranks 30th in possessions per game (74.0) and Houston Baptist is 19th (74.6).
Caraher has really been playing well as of late for Houston Baptist, averaging 18.8 points and 6.8 rebounds over the last five games.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Lumberjacks won the sole contest last season, 61-51. Stephen F. Austin had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.478 vs. 0.343). Houston Baptist, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 25.0).
Houston Baptist Huskies at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Over
- The Lumberjacks rank second in steals per game (10.9) while the Huskies rank 108th (6.5).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 177th in blocks per game (2.5) while Houston Baptist ranks 181st in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while Houston Baptist ranks 226th (37.4).
- The Lumberjacks rank 36th in three pointers allowed per game (19.1) while the Huskies rank 192nd (23.2).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 98th in assists allowed per game (12.7) while Houston Baptist ranks 237th (16.2).
- The Lumberjacks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, down from 12.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 77.8 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 83.4 points per game (0.9 above their season average).