CAA foes will collide when the Northeastern Huskies (8-5, 1-0 CAA) square off with the Hofstra Pride (7-5, 0-1 CAA) at Matthews Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 148 points with Northeastern opening as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Hofstra Pride at Northeastern Huskies Free Preview
In the Pride’s last matchup, they lost a tough one against the William & Mary Tribe, 90-87. Justin Wright-Foreman had a good performance for Hofstra, leading both teams in scoring with 36 points on 11-for-22 shooting. William & Mary did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (20-25; 80.0 percent). Hofstra, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 15.3).
The Huskies hope to keep it rolling after topping the James Madison Dukes in their last contest, 81-70. With 31 points on 9-for-14 shooting, Vasa Pusica was the top scorer from either team. The Huskies knocked down 25 of their 32 free throws (78.1 percent) and held the Dukes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.383 (below their season average of 0.484).
When looking at effective field goal percentage, Northeastern should have a considerable advantage. The elite Huskies offense ranks 74th in the NCAA in that metric at 0.544, while the Hofstra defense is ranked 328th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.554). Also, the Pride, who rank 52nd in offensive rebounding percentage (34.8 percent), will face off against the Huskies, who rank 28th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.9 percent).
Games including these teams tend to finish over the projected point total. Hofstra games have finished over 66.7 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Northeastern games have gone over. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (7-5 for Hofstra; 8-5 for Northeastern), but the Huskies have the edge against the spread (ATS). Northeastern is 4-5 ATS, while the Pride are 3-6.
Wright-Foreman has been superb over the last five games for Hofstra, averaging 27.0 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Pride won both games last season. In the most recent matchup, Hofstra won 74-64. The Pride dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.431 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.510. The Huskies were 0.159 and 0.429, respectively, for those same stats.
Hofstra Pride at Northeastern Huskies Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northeastern, ATS Winner – Hofstra, O/U – Over
- The Pride rank 120th in rebounds per game (36.8) while the Huskies rank 232nd (32.8).
- Northeastern averages 6.6 steals per game, which ranks 91st in the NCAA. Hofstra ranks 136th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- On the road, Hofstra is 3-6 ATS with 6 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Northeastern is 2-0 ATS with 1 over and 1 under.
- Northeastern ranks 36th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while Hofstra ranks 196th (15.3).
- The Huskies rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (15.5) while the Pride rank 142nd (22.3).
- Northeastern ranks second in blocks allowed per game (1.7) while Hofstra ranks 138th (4.3).
- Northeastern is 2-1 ATS with 3 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Hofstra is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Huskies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pride have scored an average of 83.0 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 86.4 points per game (6.7 above their season average).