BigSou foes will collide when the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs (7-9, 2-1 BigSou) take on the High Point Panthers (7-7, 2-1 BigSou) at Paul Porter Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
High Point Panthers at Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs Free Preview
In the Panthers last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the Charleston Southern Buccaneers, 80-59. Jahaad Proctor was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 9-for-14 shooting. The Panthers, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.517, had a great mark of 0.596 and had a better turnover percentage (18.1 vs. 18.3).
The Runnin’ Bulldogs are hoping for a better outcome after their 79-73 loss to the Longwood Lancers in their last game. Liam O’Reilly was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Longwood had a free throw rate of 0.358 (above their season average of 0.190). Gardner-Webb, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 vs. 24.2).
Gardner-Webb might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. High Point currently ranks 58th in defensive efficiency, while the Runnin’ Bulldogs rank 223rd in offensive efficiency.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Runnin’ Bulldogs won two out of three contests played against each other last season. In the last game, Gardner-Webb won 91-55. Gardner-Webb had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.590 vs. 0.282). High Point, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (20-26; 76.9 percent).
High Point Panthers at Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Gardner-Webb, ATS Winner – Gardner-Webb, O/U – Under
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs rank 88th in rebounds per game (37.6) while the Panthers rank 90th in rebounds allowed per game (33.6).
- High Point ranks 17th in assists allowed per game (10.4) while Gardner-Webb ranks 204th (15.7).
- The Panthers rank seventh in steals per game (9.9) while the Runnin’ Bulldogs rank 158th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Gardner-Webb ranks 105th in three pointers attempted per game (22.9) while High Point ranks 254th (14.0).
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs have outscored opponents by an average of 12.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Gardner-Webb has been defeated by an average of 1.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 70.6 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (1.1 above their season average).