The UMBC Retrievers (12-7, 3-1 AmEast) will try to extend an eight-game home winning streak when they clash with the Hartford Hawks (10-8, 3-1 AmEast) at Retriever Activities Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Hartford Hawks at UMBC Retrievers ATS Preview
The Hawks easily got past the Binghamton Bearcats in their last game, 97-65. Travis Weatherington was the games leading scorer with 34 points on 12-for-14 shooting. Hartford dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 17.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.772 (above their season average of 0.530). Binghamton was 20.9 and 0.551, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Retrievers last game, they dismantled the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks, 89-62. With 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting, Jairus Lyles was the games high scorer. UMBC made 16 of their 25 three pointers (64.0 percent). Massachusetts-Lowell, meanwhile, was 8-29 (27.6 percent).
UMBC should have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Retrievers rank 85th in offensive efficiency, while the Hawks rank 259th in defensive efficiency.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Hawks, it’s been J.R. Lynch, who has averaged 15.6 points, 3.4 assists and 1.8 steals, while the Retrievers have received solid contributions from K.J. Maura (12.2 points, 4.4 assists and 3.0 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Hawks won the most recent contest 84-77. The Hawks played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.510 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7. The Retrievers had marks of 0.190 and 12.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Hartford Hawks at UMBC Retrievers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Over
- The Hawks average 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 59th in the NCAA. The Retrievers rank 82nd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Hartford ranks 75th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while UMBC ranks 201st in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- The Retrievers average 15.8 assists per game, which ranks 58th in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 121st in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- UMBC ranks 67th in steals per game (7.2) while Hartford ranks 102nd in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- The Retrievers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.0, up from 5.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 74.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.6 points per game (7.7 below their season average).