The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (10-4) will be at home in Louis Brown Athletic Center when they meet the Hartford Hawks (5-6). Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Hartford Hawks at Rutgers Scarlet Knights Free Preview
In the Hawks last outing, they were victorious over the FIU Golden Panthers, 79-72. John Carroll led Hartford in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-10 shooting. The Hawks had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.690 (above their season average of 0.500), while the Golden Panthers had a free throw rate of 0.190 (below their season average of 0.223).
The Scarlet Knights are trying to rebound after their 75-73 loss to the Stony Brook Seawolves in their last matchup. Deshawn Freeman was Rutgers high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Stony Brook did a fantastic job of making free throws (12-16; 75.0 percent). Rutgers, meanwhile, held the Seawolves to an effective field goal percentage of 0.420 (below their season average of 0.524).
Rutgers appears to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Scarlet Knights rank fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.418), while Hartford is 190th in effective field goal percentage (0.515). Additionally, the Hawks rank 319th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.177), while the Scarlet Knights rank 21st in opponents FTA rate (0.166).
Geo Baker has really been playing well over the last five games for Rutgers, averaging 14.0 points, 5.0 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Scarlet Knights won the lone game played against each other last season, 77-75. The Scarlet Knights dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 46.2 and a solid free throw rate of 0.283. The Hawks had marks of 30.0 and 0.204, respectively, for those same stats.
Hartford Hawks at Rutgers Scarlet Knights Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hartford, ATS Winner – Hartford, O/U – Over
- The Scarlet Knights average 6.1 blocks per game, which ranks 14th in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 111th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Rutgers ranks 47th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while Hartford ranks 88th (12.5).
- Hartford ranks 35th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while Rutgers ranks 257th (15.9).
- The Scarlet Knights rank first in rebounds per game (45.4) while the Hawks rank 212th (33.4).
- Rutgers ranks 50th in steals per game (7.7) while Hartford ranks 185th (4.5).
- The Scarlet Knights average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.6, down from 13.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 74.0 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (1.9 below their season average).