A seven-game home winning streak is on the line for the No. 13 Virginia Cavaliers (10-1) when they clash against the Hampton Pirates (5-8) at John Paul Jones Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Hampton Pirates at Virginia Cavaliers Odds Preview
The Pirates dismantled the Appalachian State Mountaineers in their last outing, 86-53. With 18 points, 10 rebounds and six assists, Jermaine Marrow played well for Hampton. Hampton played a perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.239) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.550 (above their season average of 0.486). For those same stats, Appalachian State recorded marks of 0.186 and 0.356, respectively.
In the Cavaliers last matchup, they blew out the Savannah State Tigers, 78-47. Virginia rallied around Ty Jerome, who led the team in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Virginia dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.224 (above their season average of 0.220) and a turnover percentage of 15.4 (worse than their season average of 13.2). For those same stats, Savannah State was 0.070 and 24.3, respectively.
When considering effective field goal percentage, Virginia figures to have a significant edge. The Cavaliers defense ranks 15th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.433), while the Hampton offense is ranked 257th in effective field goal percentage (0.490). Conflicting tempos will be on display in this contest. The up-tempo Pirates rank 39th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Cavaliers rank 347th.
Hampton Pirates vs. Virginia Cavaliers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 17th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Pirates rank 115th (3.7).
- Virginia ranks 237th in three pointers attempted per game (18.5) while Hampton ranks 263rd (16.9).
- Hampton ranks 15th in rebounds per game (41.2) while Virginia ranks 220th (33.4).
- The Cavaliers rank fourth in assists allowed per game (9.3) while the Pirates rank 112th (13.2).
- Virginia ranks eighth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Hampton ranks 107th (6.5).
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.4, down from 18.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 87.6 points per game (9.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (3.2 below their season average).