The NIT contest between the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (20-14) and the Hampton Pirates (19-15) will take place at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame opened as a 22-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 154.5 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Hampton Pirates at Notre Dame Fighting Irish Betting Preview
In the Pirates’ last game, they were beaten by the North Carolina Central Eagles, 71-63. With 15 points on 7-for-10 shooting, Malique Trent-Street was Hampton’s high scorer. North Carolina Central’s free throw rate was their largest strength over Hampton. The Eagles had a rate of 0.255 (above their season average of 0.202), while the Pirates posted a mark of 0.167 (below their season average of 0.273).
The Fighting Irish are trying to rebound after their 88-70 loss to the No. 5 Duke Blue Devils in their last outing. Bonzie Colson led Notre Dame in scoring with 18 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Duke had a better free throw rate (0.123 vs. 0.075). Notre Dame, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 12.5).
Notre Dame should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Notre Dame ranks 12th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.9 percent), while Hampton forces the 96th-fewest turnovers (17.5 percent). It will also be a matchup of conflicting tempos as the up-tempo Pirates rank 18th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Fighting Irish rank 314th.
Of Hampton’s 6 games that accepted bets, three have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of Notre Dame’s 29 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (19-15 for Hampton; 20-14 for Notre Dame), but the Fighting Irish have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Notre Dame is 13-16 ATS, while the Pirates are 3-4.
Malique Trent-Street has really been playing well over the last five games for Hampton, averaging 19.0 points, 4.4 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
Hampton Pirates at Notre Dame Fighting Irish Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Under
- The Pirates rank 97th in blocks per game (3.6) while the Fighting Irish rank 172nd in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Notre Dame ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Hampton ranks 76th (5.7).
- Notre Dame ranks 103rd in three pointers attempted per game (23.2) while Hampton ranks 267th (17.9).
- The Fighting Irish rank 116th in rebounds per game (36.1) while the Pirates rank 262nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.8).
- Hampton ranks 70th in assists per game (15.1) while Notre Dame ranks 192nd in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- The Fighting Irish’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 6.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (6.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (7.8 below their season average).