The North Carolina Central Eagles (12-10, 6-2 MEAC) will try to continue a six-game home winning streak when they meet the Hampton Pirates (9-14, 4-4 MEAC) at McDougald-McLendon Gymnasium. North Carolina Central is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 146.5 points. Action starts at 5 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Hampton Pirates vs. North Carolina Central Eagles Odds Preview
The Pirates fell to the North Carolina A&T Aggies in their last outing, 92-84. With 24 points on 10-for-24 shooting, Jermaine Marrow was the games high scorer. North Carolina A&T had a much better free throw rate (0.276 vs. 0.136). Hampton, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (29.4 vs. 28.6).
In the Eagles last matchup, they defeated the Delaware State Hornets, 72-61. North Carolina Central rallied around Raasean Davis, who was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 10-for-12 shooting. North Carolina Central played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.1 (better than their season average of 19.1) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 32.7). Delaware State was 16.1 and 23.3, respectively, for those same stats.
North Carolina Central figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Eagles currently rank 90th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.486), while Hampton is 295th in effective field goal percentage (0.484).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Pirates, it’s been Marrow, who has averaged 26.0 points, 5.8 assists, 5.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while the Eagles have gotten solid contributions from Davis (14.0 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.6 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Eagles won the sole contest last season, 64-51. The Eagles played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.482. The Pirates put up marks of 18.8 and 0.396, respectively, for those same stats.
Hampton Pirates vs. North Carolina Central Eagles Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- The Pirates rank 243rd in three pointers attempted per game (18.3) while the Eagles rank 254th (17.6).
- North Carolina Central averages 3.1 blocks per game, which ranks 127th in the NCAA. Hampton ranks 135th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- North Carolina Central ranks 53rd in rebounds allowed per game (32.4) while Hampton ranks 257th (38.6).
- The Eagles rank 59th in assists per game (15.5) while the Pirates rank 162nd in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- North Carolina Central ranks 40th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Hampton ranks 83rd (5.8).
- The Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 4.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (1.2 below their season average).