MEAC foes will battle when the Coppin State Eagles (5-21, 5-6 MEAC) square off against the Hampton Pirates (12-14, 7-4 MEAC) at Physical Education Complex. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
Hampton Pirates at Coppin State Eagles Betting Preview
The Pirates had no trouble getting past the Norfolk State Spartans in their last game, 82-52. Jermaine Marrow was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 11-for-18 shooting. The Pirates, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.493, had a solid mark of 0.592 and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.1 (above their season average of 30.2).
In the Eagles last matchup, they blew out the South Carolina State Bulldogs, 84-60. Coppin State’s Lucian Brownlee was a key piece with 15 points and five rebounds. Coppin State dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.211 (above their season average of 0.199) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.632 (above their season average of 0.424). For those same stats, South Carolina State had marks of 0.123 and 0.465, respectively.
Conflicting tempos will be on display in this meeting. Hampton has preferred an up-tempo style of play (20th in possessions per game), while Coppin State has been slower-paced (194th in possessions per game).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Pirates, it’s been Marrow, who has averaged 24.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 7.0 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Eagles have gotten solid contributions from Karonn Davis (17.0 points, 5.6 assists and 5.2 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. The Pirates won 70-59. Hampton did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (21-26; 80.8 percent). Coppin State, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (37.3 vs. 33.3). In the victory, Lysander Bracey led all scorers with 22 points.
Hampton Pirates at Coppin State Eagles Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Under
- Hampton averages 40.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 16th in the nation. Coppin State ranks 291st in rebounds allowed per game (42.0).
- The Eagles rank 27th in three pointers attempted per game (26.6) while the Pirates rank 262nd (18.3).
- Hampton ranks 75th in assists per game (15.2) while Coppin State ranks 264th (10.5).
- The Eagles have outscored opponents by an average of 0.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Coppin State has lost by an average of 14.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 83.4 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (5.1 below their season average).