The East Carolina Pirates (5-5) will be at home in Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum when they meet the Grambling State Tigers (4-7). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Grambling State Tigers at East Carolina Pirates Free Preview
In the Tigers last contest, they edged the Southeastern Louisiana Lions, 68-67. With 16 points and 11 rebounds, Grambling State’s Devante Jackson put together a good game. Grambling State out-rebounded Southeastern Louisiana. The Tigers had more offensive rebounds (18 vs. 10), defensive rebounds (23 vs. 19) and total rebounds (41 vs. 29).
The Pirates are hoping for a better outcome after their 69-50 loss to the Charlotte 49ers in their last outing. With 11 points and 12 rebounds, East Carolina’s Kentrell Barkley had a solid performance. Charlotte’s 0.141 free throw rate was their largest advantage over East Carolina, who had a mark of 0.061. The 49ers mark was below their season average of 0.307, while the Pirates was below their season average of 0.265.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, East Carolina should have a considerable edge. The Pirates defense ranks 52nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.463), while the Grambling State offense is ranked 316th in effective field goal percentage (0.465).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Tigers, it’s been Ivy Smith Jr. who has averaged 16.6 points, 7.0 assists and 2.0 steals, while the Pirates have gotten great contributions from Isaac Fleming (18.8 points and 1.2 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Pirates won the only contest last season, 72-57. The Pirates dominated every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.467 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.567. For those same stats, the Tigers recorded marks of 0.117 and 0.417, respectively.
Grambling State Tigers vs. East Carolina Pirates Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grambling State, ATS Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Under
- The Pirates average 12.8 assists per game, which ranks 172nd in the nation. The Tigers rank 205th in assists allowed per game (16.1).
- East Carolina ranks 249th in three pointers attempted per game (17.7) while Grambling State ranks 271st (15.5).
- Grambling State ranks 35th in steals per game (8.3) while East Carolina ranks 200th (4.3).
- The Pirates average 38.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 74th in the nation. The Tigers rank 137th in rebounds allowed per game (35.0).
- East Carolina averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 96th in the NCAA. Grambling State ranks 155th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- The Pirates average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.2, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 70.6 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (5.7 below their season average).