The Grambling State Tigers (4-12, 0-3 SWAC), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they visit David L. Whitney Gymnasium to square off with the Alcorn State Braves (4-12, 0-3 SWAC). Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 8, 2018.
Grambling State Tigers at Alcorn State Braves ATS Preview
The Tigers were beaten by the Southern University Jaguars in their last contest, 80-69. With 18 points on 7-for-9 shooting, Drake Wilks was Grambling State’s high scorer. Southern University did a terrific job of making free throws (32-42; 76.2 percent). Grambling State, meanwhile, held the Jaguars to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below their season average of 31.7).
The last time the Braves played, they were beaten by the Jackson State Tigers, 60-55. With 12 points, Alcorn State’s Maurice Howard put together a solid outing. Jackson State had a much better turnover percentage (12.4 vs. 20.2). Alcorn State, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.304 (above their season average of 0.184).
It could be an error-filled game for the Alcorn State offense. Alcorn State ranks 225th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.8 percent), while the pesky defense of Grambling State forces the 65th-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.9 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last game, the Braves won 75-65. The Braves 15.5 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Tigers, who had a rate of 20.6.
Grambling State Tigers at Alcorn State Braves Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grambling State, ATS Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Over
- The Braves rank 144th in assists per game (13.7) while the Tigers rank 193rd in assists allowed per game (15.1).
- Alcorn State ranks 163rd in blocks per game (2.4) while Grambling State ranks 165th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Alcorn State ranks 73rd in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while Grambling State ranks 258th (15.4).
- The Tigers rank 21st in steals per game (8.4) while the Braves rank 122nd in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Grambling State ranks 197th in rebounds allowed per game (37.3) while Alcorn State ranks 248th (39.8).
- The Braves average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.2, down from 9.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 66.0 points per game (3.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.8 points per game (0.8 below their season average).