The Grambling State Tigers (13-12, 9-3 SWAC) head to Health & PE Center to take on the Texas Southern Tigers (7-17, 7-4 SWAC). Grambling State will try to lengthen its nine-game winning streak. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
Grambling State Tigers at Texas Southern Tigers Free Preview
Grambling State was victorious over the Prairie View A&M Panthers in its last matchup, 90-85. Ivy Smith Jr. was the games high scorer with 28 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Grambling State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.459 (above their season average of 0.291) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 31.4). For those same stats, Prairie View A&M was 0.295 and 27.0, respectively.
The last time Texas Southern played, they defeated the Jackson State Tigers, 86-75. Texas Southern was lifted by Donte Clark, who was the games high scorer with 26 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Texas Southern played a perfect game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 6.2 (better than their season average of 16.5) and a free throw rate of 0.431 (above their season average of 0.303). Jackson State recorded marks of 12.6 and 0.288, respectively, for those same stats.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For Grambling State, it’s been Smith Jr. who has averaged 20.0 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 1.8 steals, while Texas Southern has gotten great contributions from Clark (26.6 points and 1.4 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. Grambling State won 79-78. Grambling State played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.9 and a turnover percentage of 17.7. Texas Southern put up marks of 31.6 and 19.3, respectively, for those same stats. In the victory, Shirmane Thomas led all scorers with 27 points.
Grambling State Tigers vs. Texas Southern Tigers ATS Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Texas Southern, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Over
- Grambling State ranks 145th in assists allowed per game (13.5) while Texas Southern ranks 255th (16.3).
- Texas Southern averages 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 79th in the NCAA. Grambling State ranks 181st in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- Grambling State averages 37.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 82nd in the nation. Texas Southern ranks 260th in rebounds allowed per game (38.4).
- Grambling State ranks 28th in steals per game (7.8) while Texas Southern ranks 198th (5.3).
- Texas Southern ranks 171st in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while Grambling State ranks 301st (15.0).
- Texas Southern has outscored opponents by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Texas Southern has lost by an average of 6.4 points.
- During their last five games, Grambling State has scored an average of 80.2 points per game (7.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.4 points per game (matching their season average).