Both teams will try to lengthen their winning streaks as the No. 11 Saint Mary’s Gaels (24-2, 13-0 WCC) square off against the No. 12 Gonzaga Bulldogs (22-4, 12-1 WCC) at McKeon Pavilion. The Gaels have won their last 19 games, while the Bulldogs have won six consecutive games. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 147 points with Saint Mary’s set as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Free Preview
In the Bulldogs last contest, they were victorious over the Pacific Tigers, 71-61. Killian Tillie was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Gonzaga played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 34.5) and a free throw rate of 0.362 (above their season average of 0.226). For those same stats, Pacific was 20.0 and 0.286, respectively.
The Gaels come in on a high note after blowing out the Loyola Marymount Lions in their last game, 83-62. Saint Mary’s received a boost from Jock Landale, who was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Saint Mary’s played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.700 (above their season average of 0.598) and a free throw rate of 0.260 (above their season average of 0.237). Loyola Marymount put up marks of 0.473 and 0.182, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Saint Mary’s takes on the stingy defense of Gonzaga. The Gaels rank third in offensive efficiency, while the Bulldogs are 44th in defensive efficiency. Moreover, the Bulldogs rank 42nd in turnover percentage (16.5 percent), while the Gaels rank 326th in opponents turnover percentage (16.0 percent).
Of Gonzaga’s 23 games that accepted bets, 12 have finished under the O/U total, while 14 of Saint Mary’s 22 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (22-4 for Gonzaga; 24-2 for Saint Mary’s), but the Gaels have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Saint Mary’s is 11-11 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 9-14.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 145 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 149. The Gaels won 74-71, covering as 8-point underdogs. Saint Mary’s had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.642 vs. 0.525). Gonzaga, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (7.1 vs. 12.1). Landale recorded a double-double with 26 points and 12 rebounds.
Gonzaga Bulldogs at Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Saint Mary’s, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 37th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Gaels rank 62nd (12.0).
- Gonzaga ranks 37th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Saint Mary’s ranks 44th (5.3).
- Gonzaga is 4-8 ATS on the road with 7 unders and 5 overs.
- Saint Mary’s is 4-6 ATS at home with 8 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- Gonzaga ranks 12th in rebounds per game (40.4) while Saint Mary’s ranks 229th (33.3).
- The Bulldogs rank 56th in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while the Gaels rank 242nd (19.1).
- Gonzaga ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Saint Mary’s ranks 65th (2.9).
- Saint Mary’s is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Gonzaga is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.0, up from 15.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (9.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.4 points per game (2.2 below their season average).