The Loyola Marymount Lions (5-9, 0-3 WCC), who are currently on a five-game skid, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the No. 19 Gonzaga Bulldogs (13-3, 3-0 WCC) to Albert Gersten Pavilion. Gonzaga opened as a 19.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 153.5 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. Loyola Marymount Lions Odds Preview
In the Bulldogs last contest, they had no trouble getting past the Pepperdine Waves, 89-59. Killian Tillie was the games high scorer with 22 points on 9-for-10 shooting. Gonzaga dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.154 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4 (below their season average of 36.4). For those same stats, Pepperdine recorded marks of 0.017 and 15.2, respectively.
The Lions are trying to rebound after their 65-49 loss to the Santa Clara Broncos in their last contest. With 14 points and seven rebounds, Loyola Marymount’s Eli Scott played well. Santa Clara had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.6 (above their season average of 23.0). Loyola Marymount, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.186 vs. 0.176).
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the NCAA’s top rebounding teams face off. The Lions are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking fourth in offensive rebounding percentage at 38.6 percent. Meanwhile, Gonzaga ranks 44th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.1 percent. Additionally, the fifth-ranked offense of the Bulldogs (offensive efficiency of 122.5) will attempt to exploit the 318th-ranked defense of the Lions (defensive efficiency of 111.2).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bulldogs won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, Gonzaga won 90-60. The Bulldogs dominated every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.708 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. The Lions were 0.066 and 23.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. Loyola Marymount Lions Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Gonzaga, ATS Winner – Gonzaga, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 18th in rebounds per game (41.0) while the Lions rank 153rd (35.7).
- Gonzaga ranks 45th in steals per game (7.7) while Loyola Marymount ranks 145th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- Gonzaga averages 17.9 assists per game, which ranks 14th in the nation. Loyola Marymount ranks 204th in assists allowed per game (15.8).
- The Bulldogs rank 35th in three pointers attempted per game (26.7) while the Lions rank 203rd (19.7).
- Gonzaga ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Loyola Marymount ranks 172nd (5.6).
- The Lions average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 2.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 88.4 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.4 points per game (10.2 below their season average).