Offense meets defense when the No. 12 Gonzaga Bulldogs (10-2) head to San Diego State to take on the Aztecs (7-3). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 152.5 points with Gonzaga set as a 3.5-point favorite. Action begins at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. San Diego State Aztecs Free Preview
In the Bulldogs last contest, they easily got past the IUPUI Jaguars, 101-71. With 17 points and 14 rebounds, Gonzaga’s Johnathan Williams III had a solid performance. Gonzaga dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.255) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.760 (above their season average of 0.578). IUPUI was 0.250 and 0.430, respectively, for those same stats.
The Aztecs are trying to rebound after their 63-62 loss to the California Golden Bears in their last contest. Malik Pope was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 7-for-11 shooting. California held the Aztecs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.8 (below their season average of 34.9). San Diego State, meanwhile, forced the Golden Bears into a turnover percentage of 22.9 (above their season average of 18.5).
This battle pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Gonzaga ranks ninth in offensive efficiency and San Diego State is 13th in defensive efficiency.
Games including these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Gonzaga games have gone over 77.8 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of San Diego State games have finished over. The Bulldogs have the superior straight up (SU) record (10-2 vs. 7-3), but the Aztecs hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (5-3 vs. 5-4).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Bulldogs won the sole contest last season, 69-48. The Bulldogs dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.8 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.3. For those same stats, the Aztecs had marks of 19.4 and 16.7, respectively.
Gonzaga Bulldogs at San Diego State Aztecs Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Gonzaga, ATS Winner – Gonzaga, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs average 40.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 24th in the NCAA. The Aztecs rank 90th in rebounds allowed per game (33.5).
- Gonzaga ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while San Diego State ranks 93rd (3.4).
- San Diego State is 2-1 ATS at home, while Gonzaga is 3-2 ATS on the road.
- The Bulldogs have 4 overs and 1 under in 5 road games.
- The Aztecs have 2 unders and 1 over in 3 home games.
- Gonzaga ranks 56th in three pointers attempted per game (25.4) while San Diego State ranks 203rd in three pointers allowed per game (24.4).
- The Bulldogs rank 43rd in steals per game (7.9) while the Aztecs rank 173rd in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Gonzaga ranks 29th in assists per game (17.3) while San Diego State ranks 120th in assists allowed per game (13.3).
- San Diego State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Gonzaga is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Aztecs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, down from 14.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 90.0 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.2 points per game (2.3 above their season average).