The Golden State Warriors (20-6) and the Detroit Pistons (14-10) go head-to-head at Little Caesars Arena. The Warriors will attempt to prolong their five-game winning streak. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 8, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Golden State Warriors vs. Detroit Pistons Free Preview
The Warriors defeated the Charlotte Hornets in their last matchup, 101-87. With 35 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists, Kevin Durant led the way for Golden State with his zeroth triple-double this year. Golden State’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Charlotte. The Warriors had a rate of 0.542 (below their season average of 0.588), while the Hornets posted a mark of 0.381 (below their season average of 0.495).
In the Pistons last matchup, they were topped by the Milwaukee Bucks, 104-100. Andre Drummond was the games high scorer with 27 points on 12-for-16 shooting. Milwaukee held the Pistons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.471 (below their season average of 0.523). Detroit, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (9.2 vs. 10.8).
Opposite tempos will be on display in this matchup. Golden State has preferred a fast-paced style of play (fifth in possessions per game), while Detroit has been slower-paced (23rd in possessions per game).
Of Golden State’s 26 games, 15 have finished over the O/U total, while 13 of Detroit’s 24 games have finished under the projected point total. The Warriors hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (20-6 vs. 14-10), but the Pistons have the better against the spread (ATS) record (15-7-2 vs. 13-13).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 222 points, just over the projected point total of 221. The Pistons won 115-107, covering as 15-point underdogs. The Pistons played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.5 and a free throw rate of 0.183. The Warriors were 23.3 and 0.117, respectively, for those same stats. Durant was a top player in the game with 28 points and six rebounds.
Golden State Warriors vs. Detroit Pistons Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank eighth in steals allowed per game (7.4) while the Warriors rank 26th (8.8).
- Detroit ranks 13th in points in the paint per game (44.2) while Golden State ranks 21st in points allowed in the paint per game (46.2).
- Detroit ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.0) while Golden State ranks 23rd (18.5).
- Golden State averages 31.4 three pointers per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. Detroit ranks ninth in three pointers allowed per game (26.8).
- Detroit is 6-3-1 ATS at home, while Golden State is 8-7 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Pistons 10 home games, while 9 of the Warriors 15 road games have gone over.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Golden State is 6-1 and Detroit is 7-3.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Pistons are 12-4 and the Warriors are 19-4.
- The Pistons rank ninth in second chance points per game (13.5) while the Warriors rank 27th (10.0).
- Golden State ranks first in blocks per game (8.4) while Detroit ranks 29th (3.3).
- The Pistons rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (8.8) while the Warriors rank 28th (14.0).
- The Warriors rank eighth in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Pistons rank 11th in rebounds allowed per game (42.6).
- Golden State ranks first in assists per game (30.9) while Detroit ranks 24th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Golden State is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons have been outscored by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Detroit has defeated opponents by an average of 1.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Warriors have scored an average of 121.8 points per game (4.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.4 points per game (0.0 above their season average).