A seven-game road winning streak is on the line for the Golden State Warriors (29-8) when they clash with the Dallas Mavericks (13-25) at American Airlines Center. Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Golden State Warriors vs. Dallas Mavericks Odds Preview
The Warriors beat the Memphis Grizzlies in their last matchup, 141-128. Stephen Curry was the top scorer from either team with 38 points on 13-for-17 shooting. The Warriors knocked down 23 of their 25 free throws (92.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.694 (above their season average of 0.572).
In the Mavericks last matchup, they defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder, 116-113. J.J. Barea played a pivotal role for Dallas with 12 points, 11 assists and seven rebounds. The Mavericks had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 12.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.601 (above their season average of 0.516).
Dallas might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Golden State ranks third in defensive efficiency, while the Mavericks rank 21st in offensive efficiency.
Of Golden State’s 37 games, 19 have finished over the O/U total, while 20 of Dallas 38 games have finished under the O/U total. The Warriors have the superior straight up (SU) record (29-8 vs. 13-25), but the Mavericks have been better against the spread (ATS) (19-19 vs. 17-20).
Dirk Nowitzki has really been playing well over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 16.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Warriors winning both. In the most recent game, Kevin Durant scored a game-high 36 points and the Warriors defeated the Mavericks 112-97, covering as 9.5-point favorites. He also had 11 rebounds and seven assists. The two teams combined to score 209 points, which was just 1 points below the projected point total of 210 points. Golden State’s 0.673 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Dallas, who had a rate of 0.512.
Golden State Warriors at Dallas Mavericks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Warriors, ATS Winner – Warriors, O/U – Under
- The Mavericks rank third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.4) while the Warriors rank 26th (18.8).
- Golden State ranks first in assists per game (30.5) while Dallas ranks 18th (22.2).
- Dallas ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.7) while Golden State ranks 19th (45.1).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.9) while Golden State ranks 18th in three pointers allowed per game (29.0).
- On the road, Golden State is 8-9 ATS with 10 overs and 7 unders.
- Dallas is 9-10 ATS at home with 10 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- Golden State is 10-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Dallas is 10-8.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Mavericks are 8-10 and the Warriors are 26-5.
- The Warriors rank ninth in steals per game (8.4) while the Mavericks rank 26th (6.6).
- Golden State ranks first in fast break points per game (21.8) while Dallas ranks 29th in fast break points allowed per game (14.7).
- The Warriors rank first in blocks per game (8.4) while the Mavericks rank 27th (3.8).
- The Warriors rank ninth in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Mavericks rank 25th (40.7).
- Dallas ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.6) while Golden State ranks 27th (13.8).
- Dallas is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Golden State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Mavericks have outscored opponents by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Dallas has been defeated by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Warriors have scored an average of 109.4 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.6 points per game (0.3 above their season average).