The Cleveland Cavaliers (26-16) look to lengthen their 13-game home winning streak when they meet the Golden State Warriors (35-9), who are on a 12-game road winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 231 points with Golden State set as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
Golden State Warriors at Cleveland Cavaliers Free Preview
The Warriors barely escaped the Toronto Raptors in their last game, 127-125. With 24 points, nine assists and six rebounds, Golden State’s Stephen Curry put together a solid performance. Golden State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.0 (better than their season average of 14.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.636 (above their season average of 0.576). For those same stats, Toronto was 9.4 and 0.533, respectively.
In the Cavaliers last game, they were topped by the Indiana Pacers, 97-95. LeBron James was the games leading scorer with 27 points on 11-for-25 shooting. Indiana held the Cavaliers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.471 (below their season average of 0.546). Cleveland, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (14-19; 73.7 percent).
This showdown pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Cleveland currently ranks fifth in offensive efficiency and Golden State ranks third in defensive efficiency.
Of Golden State’s 44 games, 25 have finished over the projected point total, while 22 of Cleveland’s 42 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Warriors have a substantial advantage. They are 35-9 SU and 20-23-1 ATS, while the Cavaliers are 26-16 SU and 12-29-1 ATS.
Draymond Green has really been playing well over the last five games for Golden State, averaging 15.4 points, 10.2 rebounds and 7.6 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 191 points, well under the projected point total of 216. The Warriors won 99-92, covering as 4-point favorites. Golden State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.524 vs. 0.403). Cleveland, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (21-25; 84.0 percent). Kevin Love recorded a double-double in the defeat, with 31 points and 18 rebounds.
Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Warriors, ATS Winner – Warriors, O/U – Over
- The Cavaliers rank ninth in points off turnovers per game (17.4) while the Warriors rank 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.5).
- Cleveland ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (7.5) while Golden State ranks 26th (8.7).
- Golden State ranks first in fast break points per game (21.2) while Cleveland ranks 15th (10.7).
- Cleveland ranks 17th in second chance points allowed per game (12.6) while Golden State ranks 27th (13.8).
- Golden State is 11-11 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is 3-15-1 ATS at home.
- The Warriors have 14 overs and 8 unders in 22 road games.
- Of the Cavaliers 19 home games, they have 11 overs and 8 unders. In games where they allow less than 100 points, Golden State is 11-2 and Cleveland is 10-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Cavaliers are 26-8 and the Warriors are 32-6.
- The Warriors average 44.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Cavaliers rank 24th in rebounds allowed per game (43.9).
- Golden State ranks first in assists per game (30.5) while Cleveland ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (25.6).
- The Warriors rank first in blocks per game (8.1) while the Cavaliers rank 28th (3.8).
- The Warriors rank 12th in points in the paint per game (45.3) while the Cavaliers rank 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (46.0).
- Golden State averages 29.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Cleveland ranks last in three pointers allowed per game (32.3).
- Cleveland is 0-5 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Golden State is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Cavaliers have been outscored by an average of 14.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Cleveland has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Warriors have scored an average of 117.2 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.6 points per game (5.9 above their season average).