The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (11-16, 4-10 ACC) will attempt to put an end to their five-game losing streak when they square off against the No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers (24-2, 13-1 ACC) at John Paul Jones Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 113 points with Virginia set as a 20-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Virginia Cavaliers Free Preview
The Yellow Jackets got blown out by the Virginia Tech Hokies in their last matchup, 76-56. With 17 points on 6-for-17 shooting, Tadric Jackson led Georgia Tech in scoring. Virginia Tech held the Yellow Jackets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.400 (below their season average of 0.473). Georgia Tech, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.8 vs. 15.2).
The last time the Cavaliers played, they topped the Miami (FL) Hurricanes, 59-50. Virginia rallied around De’Andre Hunter, who was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Virginia dominated every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 (above their season average of 27.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.521 (below their season average of 0.530). For those same stats, Miami (FL) recorded marks of 20.0 and 0.447, respectively.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Virginia currently ranks 351st in possessions per game (60.7) and Georgia Tech is 335th (65.3). Furthermore, the Yellow Jackets 299th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 99.8) will face a difficult test against the Cavaliers second-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 86.5).
Both of these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Games including Georgia Tech have finished under 56.5 percent of the time, while Virginia games have finished under 78.3 percent of the time. The Cavaliers come into this game with a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 24-2 SU and 17-6 ATS, while the Yellow Jackets are 11-16 SU and 10-12-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 112 points, just under the projected point total of 116. The Cavaliers won 64-48, covering as 7.5-point favorites. The Cavaliers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.7 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 32.3. For those same stats, the Yellow Jackets were 27.2 and 26.9, respectively. Hunter was the games leading scorer with 17 points.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Virginia Cavaliers ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Virginia, ATS Winner – Georgia Tech, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.1) while the Yellow Jackets rank 97th (33.5).
- Georgia Tech ranks 16th in blocks per game (5.3) while Virginia ranks 81st (3.8).
- On the road, Georgia Tech is 3-6-1 ATS with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- Virginia is 7-5 ATS at home with 8 unders and 4 overs.
- Virginia ranks first in assists allowed per game (8.5) while Georgia Tech ranks 199th (14.5).
- The Cavaliers rank second in steals allowed per game (4.0) while the Yellow Jackets rank 124th (6.3).
- Virginia ranks 222nd in three pointers attempted per game (19.8) while Georgia Tech ranks 304th (15.2).
- Virginia is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia Tech is 0-5 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, down from 15.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Yellow Jackets have scored an average of 62.6 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (11.2 above their season average).