The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (9-7, 2-1 ACC) and the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-9, 0-4 ACC), who both like to play slow, will face off at Petersen Events Center. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Panthers ATS Preview
In the Yellow Jackets last contest, they defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 60-53. With 10 points and 10 rebounds, Georgia Tech’s Ben Lammers played well. The Yellow Jackets held the Fighting Irish to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.7 (below their season average of 29.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.390 (below their season average of 0.551).
The Panthers are trying to rebound after their 87-52 loss to the No. 7 Duke Blue Devils in their last matchup. Jared Wilson-Frame was the games leading scorer with 17 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Duke had a turnover percentage of 7.7 (better than their season average of 13.1). Pittsburgh, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.275 (above their season average of 0.261).
Pittsburgh might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they clash against one of the nations best defenses. Georgia Tech currently ranks 54th in defensive efficiency, while the Panthers rank 299th in offensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Yellow Jackets are among the nations best at getting to the line, ranking 43rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.287). The Panthers, however, rank 39th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents FTA rate of 0.184.
Lammers has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Georgia Tech, averaging 12.2 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.4 blocks and 1.4 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Panthers won 61-59. Pittsburgh’s 0.241 free throw rate was their biggest strength over Georgia Tech, who had a rate of 0.177.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Pittsburgh Panthers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgia Tech, ATS Winner – Georgia Tech, O/U – Over
- The Panthers average 13.5 assists per game, which ranks 138th in the NCAA. The Yellow Jackets rank 168th in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- Pittsburgh ranks 86th in three pointers attempted per game (24.0) while Georgia Tech ranks 277th (14.6).
- The Yellow Jackets rank 47th in steals per game (7.6) while the Panthers rank 189th (4.8).
- Georgia Tech averages 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 22nd in the NCAA. Pittsburgh ranks 103rd in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- The Panthers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 17.0, up from 4.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Yellow Jackets have scored an average of 66.6 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 59.4 points per game (3.9 below their season average).