ACC foes will collide when the Florida State Seminoles (14-5, 3-4 ACC) take on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (10-9, 3-3 ACC) at Donald L. Tucker Center. Florida State opened as a 9.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 140 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Florida State Seminoles Free Preview
The Yellow Jackets were beaten by the No. 15 North Carolina Tar Heels in their last game, 80-66. Josh Okogie put together a solid performance for Georgia Tech, leading both teams in scoring with 18 points on 8-for-16 shooting. North Carolina did a great job of converting from the free throw line (19-24; 79.2 percent). Georgia Tech, meanwhile, held the Tar Heels to an effective field goal percentage of 0.462 (below their season average of 0.526).
In the Seminoles last game, they beat the Virginia Tech Hokies, 91-82. Florida State rallied around M.J. Walker, who was the teams leading scorer with 24 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Florida State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.345 (above their season average of 0.215) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.0 (below their season average of 36.6). For those same stats, Virginia Tech was 0.133 and 15.2, respectively.
It will be a matchup of opposite paces as the fast-paced Seminoles will look to push the more grind-it-out Yellow Jackets. The Seminoles rank 26th in possessions per game while the Yellow Jackets are 337th. Moreover, the 282nd-ranked offense of the Yellow Jackets (offensive efficiency of 100.6) will battle against the 43rd-ranked defense of the Seminoles (defensive efficiency of 95.8).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Georgia Tech games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while 58.8 percent of games featuring Florida State have finished over. The Seminoles hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-5 SU and 10-5-2 ATS, while the Yellow Jackets are 10-9 SU and 8-6-1 ATS.
Braian Angola-Rodas has really been playing well over the last five games for Florida State, averaging 19.0 points, 5.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Yellow Jackets won the only game played against each other last season, 78-56. The Yellow Jackets dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.344 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.467. For those same stats, the Seminoles were 0.141 and 0.324, respectively.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Florida State Seminoles Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Florida State, ATS Winner – Georgia Tech, O/U – Under
- The Yellow Jackets average 7.4 steals per game, which ranks 49th in the NCAA. The Seminoles rank 104th in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- Florida State ranks 27th in blocks per game (5.1) while Georgia Tech ranks 80th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- Georgia Tech is 3-2-1 ATS on the road, while Florida State is 4-2-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Seminoles 7 home games, while 4 of the Yellow Jackets 6 road games have gone under.
- Florida State ranks 62nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while Georgia Tech ranks 287th (14.6).
- The Seminoles rank 10th in rebounds per game (40.7) while the Yellow Jackets rank 203rd (34.3).
- Florida State ranks 33rd in assists per game (16.5) while Georgia Tech ranks 190th (12.5).
- Florida State is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia Tech is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Seminoles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 12.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Yellow Jackets have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (1.5 below their season average).