Expect a defensive battle when the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (6-6) and Notre Dame Fighting Irish (9-3) battle at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Notre Dame Fighting Irish Odds Preview
In the Yellow Jackets last matchup, they beat the Coppin State Eagles, 76-62. Ben Lammers was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Yellow Jackets made 20 of their 21 free throws (95.2 percent) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.7 (above their season average of 31.5).
The Fighting Irish hope to maintain momentum after blowing out the Southeastern Louisiana Lions in their last matchup, 86-50. Bonzie Colson had a good game for Notre Dame, putting up 16 points and 10 rebounds. Notre Dame dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.275 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 7.1 (better than their season average of 12.4). Southeastern Louisiana was 0.075 and 18.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Notre Dame ranks 277th in possessions per game (68.5) and Georgia Tech is 333rd (65.9). Furthermore, the Yellow Jackets rank 23rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.310), while the Fighting Irish rank sixth in opponents FTA rate (0.145).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Fighting Irish won 64-60. Notre Dame did a terrific job of making free throws (14-18; 77.8 percent). Georgia Tech, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (24.2 vs. 18.4).
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Notre Dame, O/U – Over
- The Fighting Irish average 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 97th in the nation. The Yellow Jackets rank 161st in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- Notre Dame ranks 39th in blocks per game (4.9) while Georgia Tech ranks 86th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Georgia Tech ranks 48th in rebounds allowed per game (32.2) while Notre Dame ranks 119th (34.5).
- The Fighting Irish rank 11th in steals allowed per game (4.4) while the Yellow Jackets rank 80th (6.1).
- Notre Dame ranks 198th in three pointers attempted per game (20.0) while Georgia Tech ranks 266th (14.8).
- The Fighting Irish’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.8, down from 16.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Yellow Jackets have scored an average of 71.0 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.8 points per game (4.0 above their season average).