SBC foes will clash when the Troy Trojans (6-8, 0-1 SBC) take on the Georgia State Panthers (9-5, 0-1 SBC) at Trojan Arena. Troy opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 144 points. Action begins at 4:15 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Georgia State Panthers at Troy Trojans Free Preview
In the Panthers last outing, they lost big to the South Alabama Jaguars, 86-64. With 27 points on 11-for-25 shooting, D’Marcus Simonds was Georgia State’s leading scorer. South Alabama did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (16-21; 76.2 percent). Georgia State, meanwhile, forced the Jaguars into a turnover percentage of 25.5 (above their season average of 20.4).
The Trojans are hoping for a better outcome after their 86-80 loss to the Georgia Southern Eagles in their last outing. Wesley Person led Troy in scoring with 29 points on 9-for-15 shooting. Georgia Southern had an offensive rebounding percentage of 47.1 (above their season average of 35.7). Troy, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.5 vs. 15.2).
The physical Troy offense could be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this contest. The Trojans currently rank 93rd in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.265, while Georgia State ranks 259th in FTA rate allowed (0.264).
Of Georgia State’s 10 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of Troy’s 11 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Panthers have a clear advantage. They are 9-5 SU and 7-3 ATS, while the Trojans are 6-8 SU and 4-7 ATS.
Person has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Troy, averaging 24.6 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Trojans won two out of three matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Troy won 74-63. The Trojans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.407 and a turnover percentage of 14.7. For those same stats, the Panthers recorded marks of 0.259 and 20.2, respectively.
Georgia State Panthers vs. Troy Trojans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Troy, ATS Winner – Troy, O/U – Over
- The Trojans rank 191st in rebounds per game (34.5) while the Panthers rank 235th (32.9).
- On the road, Georgia State is 6-2 ATS with 5 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Troy is 1-2 ATS with 3 overs and 0 unders.
- Troy ranks 40th in three pointers attempted per game (26.5) while Georgia State ranks 215th in three pointers allowed per game (24.7).
- The Panthers rank 20th in steals per game (8.8) while the Trojans rank 151st (5.6).
- Troy ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Georgia State ranks 104th (3.6).
- Troy is 0-4 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia State is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Trojans have been outscored by an average of 7.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Troy has defeated opponents by an average of 3.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.0 points per game (5.7 above their season average).