A low-scoring game should be expected when the South Alabama Jaguars (6-6) and the Georgia State Panthers (9-4) square off at Mitchell Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 130.5 points with Georgia State set as a 7-point favorite. Action begins at 8:05 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Georgia State Panthers vs. South Alabama Jaguars Odds Preview
The Panthers had no trouble getting past the Chattanooga Mocs in their last game, 71-48. D’Marcus Simonds was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Georgia State couldn’t miss, shooting 60.4 percent from the field. Chattanooga, on the other hand, had a field goal percentage of just 30.2.
In the Jaguars last matchup, they were blown out by the Tulane Green Wave, 77-73. Rodrick Sikes was the games leading scorer with 34 points on 10-for-19 shooting. Tulane did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (19-24; 79.2 percent). South Alabama, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 21.4).
The ineffective offense of South Alabama (329th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 94.4) will square off against the elite defense of Georgia State (46th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 93.7). The Panthers figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
Games including these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Georgia State games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of South Alabama games have finished under. The Panthers have the superior straight up (SU) record (9-4 vs. 6-6), but the Jaguars hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (8-1 vs. 7-2).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Panthers won both matchups last season. In the last game, Georgia State won 83-80. Getting to the free throw line was one of Georgia State’s largest advantages. They had 35 free throw attempts, while South Alabama had 27.
Georgia State Panthers at South Alabama Jaguars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgia State, ATS Winner – South Alabama, O/U – Under
- The Jaguars rank 59th in blocks per game (4.4) while the Panthers rank 85th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- South Alabama is 2-0 ATS at home, while Georgia State is 6-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 2 of the Jaguars 2 home games, while 5 of the Panthers 7 road games have gone under.
- South Alabama ranks 99th in three pointers attempted per game (23.6) while Georgia State ranks 210th in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- The Panthers rank 24th in steals per game (8.5) while the Jaguars rank 124th (6.1).
- South Alabama ranks 116th in rebounds per game (36.7) while Georgia State ranks 171st in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- South Alabama is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia State is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Jaguars have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. For the season, South Alabama has defeated opponents by an average of 0.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average).