The Arkansas State Red Wolves (8-14, 3-6 SBC) will attempt to put an end to the seven-game winning streak of Georgia State when they welcome the Panthers (16-6, 7-2 SBC) to Convocation Center. Georgia State opened as a 6-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Georgia State Panthers vs. Arkansas State Red Wolves Betting Preview
In the Panthers’ last game, they defeated the Texas State Bobcats, 54-50. With 14 points and eight rebounds, Jeff Thomas put together a solid outing for Georgia State. Georgia State’s 0.532 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Texas State, who had a rate of 0.368. The Panthers’ mark was above their season average of 0.527, while the Bobcats’ was below their season average of 0.508.
The Red Wolves hope to maintain momentum after topping the Appalachian State Mountaineers in their last game, 93-88. With 23 points on 7-for-14 shooting, Deven Simms was Arkansas State’s high scorer. The Red Wolves made 21 of their 27 free throws (77.8 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 11.0 (better than their season average of 17.4).
Arkansas State might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Georgia State ranks 28th in defensive efficiency, while the Red Wolves rank 189th in offensive efficiency.
Of Georgia State’s 18 games with betting action, 10 have finished under the O/U total, while 9 of Arkansas State’s 18 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Panthers have a substantial advantage. They are 16-6 SU and 11-7 ATS, while the Red Wolves are 8-14 SU and 7-11 ATS.
Thomas has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Georgia State, averaging 14.2 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 154 points, which was over the projected point total of 142. The Panthers won 79-75, but were unable to cover as 11-point favorites. The Panthers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.3 and a superb free throw rate of 0.293. For those same stats, the Red Wolves were 17.5 and 0.241, respectively. D’Marcus Simonds scored a game-high 33 points.
Georgia State Panthers vs. Arkansas State Red Wolves Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Georgia State, ATS Winner – Georgia State, O/U – Over
- The Panthers rank 168th in assists per game (13.2) while the Red Wolves rank 249th (10.9).
- Georgia State ranks 28th in steals per game (7.9) while Arkansas State ranks 103rd (6.5).
- Georgia State is 8-3 ATS on the road with 8 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Arkansas State is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- Arkansas State ranks 44th in three pointers allowed per game (19.4) while Georgia State ranks 233rd (24.5).
- The Panthers rank 31st in blocks per game (4.7) while the Red Wolves rank 144th (2.9).
- Arkansas State ranks 132nd in rebounds allowed per game (34.7) while Georgia State ranks 229th (37.5).
- Arkansas State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia State is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Red Wolves’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.8, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.4 points per game (3.5 below their season average).