The Massachusetts Minutemen (6-5) can continue a six-game home winning streak when they meet the Georgia State Panthers (7-4) at William D. Mullins Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 129.5 points with Massachusetts opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Georgia State Panthers vs. Massachusetts Minutemen ATS Preview
The Panthers fell to the Dayton Flyers in their last contest, 88-83. With 28 points on 9-for-14 shooting, Devin Mitchell was Georgia State’s high scorer. Dayton had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.3 (above their season average of 24.7). Georgia State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (15.7 vs. 18.7).
In the Minutemen’s last matchup, they beat the Georgia Bulldogs, 72-62. Massachusetts rallied around C.J. Anderson, who finished with 10 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. The Minutemen had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.611 (above their season average of 0.522) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 (above their season average of 27.5).
It could be a sloppy game for the Massachusetts offense. Massachusetts ranks 292nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.3 percent), while the pesky defense of Georgia State forces the 13th-most turnovers in the nation (25.2 percent).
Games involving these teams have a tendency to go under the projected point total. Georgia State games have finished under 71.4 percent of the time, while Massachusetts games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time. The Panthers hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (7-4 vs. 6-5), but the Minutemen have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (6-3 vs. 5-2).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Minutemen won the only game played against each other last season, 74-65. Massachusetts did a great job of converting from the free throw line (17-23; 73.9 percent). Georgia State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (18.3 vs. 21.7).
Georgia State Panthers at Massachusetts Minutemen Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Massachusetts, ATS Winner – Georgia State, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 67th in blocks per game (4.2) while the Minutemen rank 86th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Massachusetts ranks 75th in assists per game (15.3) while Georgia State ranks 84th in assists allowed per game (12.5).
- Georgia State is 4-1 ATS on the road, while Massachusetts is 3-1 ATS at home.
- The Panthers have 4 unders and 1 over in 5 road games.
- Of the Minutemen’s 4 home games, they have 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Massachusetts ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (17.9) while Georgia State ranks 202nd (24.2).
- The Panthers rank 27th in steals per game (8.5) while the Minutemen rank 176th (4.9).
- Massachusetts ranks 37th in rebounds allowed per game (31.7) while Georgia State ranks 174th (36.6).
- Massachusetts is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia State is 1-1 ATS with 2 overs.
- The Minutemen’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.0, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (6.0 above their season average).