SBC foes will clash when the Troy Trojans (6-7) take on the Georgia Southern Eagles (9-4) at Trojan Arena. Georgia Southern is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 148 points. Action starts at 8:15 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Georgia Southern Eagles at Troy Trojans Odds Preview
The Eagles were blown out by the East Tennessee State Buccaneers in their last outing, 79-59. With 24 points on 9-for-16 shooting, Tookie Brown was the games leading scorer. East Tennessee State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 29.9). Georgia Southern, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.204 vs. 0.200).
In the Trojans last matchup, they beat the Milligan Buffaloes, 80-67. With 23 points on 5-for-16 shooting, Wesley Person was the games leading scorer. Troy played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.393 (above their season average of 0.258) and a turnover percentage of 10.8 (better than their season average of 16.3). Milligan was 0.046 and 15.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The physical Troy offense might be getting to the foul line a lot in this contest. The Trojans currently rank 61st in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.269, while Georgia Southern ranks 182nd in FTA rate allowed (0.231). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Eagles. They rank 53rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.8 percent), while the Trojans force the 95th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 18.3 percent).
Both of these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Georgia Southern games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of games including Troy have gone under. The Eagles have the better straight up (SU) record (9-4 vs. 6-7), but the Trojans hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (4-6 vs. 3-4).
Person has been on fire over the last five games for Troy, averaging 25.4 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Trojans won two out of three games played against each other last season. In the last game, Troy won 90-70. Troy did a great job of making free throws (18-23; 78.3 percent). Georgia Southern, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 14.7).
Georgia Southern Eagles at Troy Trojans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgia Southern, ATS Winner – Georgia Southern, O/U – Under
- The Eagles rank 39th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while the Trojans rank 108th (13.9).
- Troy ranks 92nd in blocks per game (4.4) while Georgia Southern ranks 107th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Georgia Southern is 3-4 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Troy is 1-1 ATS at home with 2 overs and 0 unders.
- Georgia Southern averages 40.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 34th in the NCAA. Troy ranks 140th in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- The Eagles rank 76th in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while the Trojans rank 169th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8).
- Georgia Southern ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.4) while Troy ranks 79th (6.3).
- Troy is 0-4 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia Southern is 1-1 ATS with 2 unders.
- The Trojans have been outscored by an average of 8.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Troy has defeated opponents by an average of 4.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (1.8 above their season average).