The Georgia State Panthers (22-10, 13-6 SBC) and the Georgia Southern Eagles (21-11, 12-7 SBC) clash in the Sun Belt Conference Tourney at Lakefront Arena. Action starts at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Georgia Southern Eagles vs. Georgia State Panthers Free Preview
In the Eagles last contest, they were victorious over the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks, 63-55. Tookie Brown was the games high scorer with 13 points on 3-for-10 shooting. Georgia Southern dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.413 (above their season average of 0.256) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.478 (below their season average of 0.499). For those same stats, Louisiana-Monroe was 0.094 and 0.383, respectively.
The Panthers hope to keep it rolling after blowing out the Troy Trojans in their last outing, 73-51. Georgia State was lifted by D’Marcus Simonds, who contributed 17 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. The Panthers held the Trojans to an effective field goal percentage of 0.367 (below their season average of 0.519). The Trojans also had a turnover percentage of 21.0 (above their season average of 15.4).
Based on historical performance heading into this one, ball protection could play a significant role in this meeting. Georgia State commits the 41st-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 16.4 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Georgia Southern forces the 58th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 20.9 percent). ,
These two teams have met twice already this season, each winning once. Brown scored a game-high 23 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Eagles beat the Panthers 85-80. He also recorded five assists. The Eagles dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.472 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.566. The Panthers were 0.279 and 0.516, respectively, for those same stats.
Georgia Southern Eagles vs. Georgia State Panthers Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Georgia Southern, ATS Winner – Georgia Southern, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 155th in assists per game (13.4) while the Eagles rank 275th (10.3).
- Georgia State ranks 46th in steals per game (7.3) while Georgia Southern ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (4.3).
- Georgia Southern averages 23.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 82nd in the nation. Georgia State ranks 294th in three pointers allowed per game (25.8).
- The Eagles rank 50th in rebounds per game (38.1) while the Panthers rank 227th in rebounds allowed per game (36.9).
- Georgia State averages 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 34th in the nation. Georgia Southern ranks 165th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- The Panthers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, up from 7.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (4.3 above their season average).