SBC foes will battle when the South Alabama Jaguars (7-6, 1-0 SBC) challenge the Georgia Southern Eagles (10-4, 1-0 SBC) at Mitchell Center. Georgia Southern is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 140 points. Tip-off is set for 4:05 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Georgia Southern Eagles at South Alabama Jaguars Odds Preview
In the Eagles last outing, they beat the Troy Trojans, 86-80. Tookie Brown was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 7-for-14 shooting. The Eagles, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7, had a ridiculous mark of 47.1 and had a free throw rate of 0.383 (above their season average of 0.254).
The Jaguars hope to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the Georgia State Panthers in their last game, 86-64. With 31 points on 10-for-15 shooting, Rodrick Sikes was the top scorer from either team. South Alabama dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.291 (above their season average of 0.249) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.9 (above their season average of 24.1). For those same stats, Georgia State was 0.111 and 20.0, respectively.
The offense of South Alabama (321st in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 96.1) will square off against the stingy defense of Georgia Southern (82nd in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 96.7). The Eagles should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Neither team has shown a tendency in terms of going over or under the O/U total. The Eagles hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (10-4 vs. 7-6), but the Jaguars have been superior against the spread (ATS) (9-1 vs. 4-4).
Josh Ajayi has been solid over the last five games for South Alabama, averaging 13.4 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Jaguars won 78-66. The Jaguars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.593 and a turnover percentage of 16.0. The Eagles had marks of 0.441 and 18.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Georgia Southern Eagles at South Alabama Jaguars Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgia Southern, ATS Winner – South Alabama, O/U – Over
- The Jaguars rank 49th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Eagles rank 116th (3.2).
- Georgia Southern ranks 83rd in three pointers attempted per game (24.2) while South Alabama ranks 118th in three pointers allowed per game (21.8).
- South Alabama is 3-0 ATS at home, while Georgia Southern is 4-4 ATS on the road.
- The Eagles have 4 overs and 4 unders in 8 road games.
- The Jaguars have 2 unders and 1 over in 3 home games.
- Georgia Southern ranks 12th in steals allowed per game (4.4) while South Alabama ranks 138th (6.9).
- The Eagles rank 34th in rebounds per game (40.3) while the Jaguars rank 158th in rebounds allowed per game (36.2).
- South Alabama ranks 157th in assists per game (13.3) while Georgia Southern ranks 241st (10.4).
- South Alabama is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia Southern is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Jaguars have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, South Alabama has defeated opponents by an average of 1.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (9.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (1.3 below their season average).