Big East foes will clash when the Providence Friars (15-8, 6-4 Big East) square off against the Georgetown Hoyas (13-9, 3-8 Big East) at Dunkin Donuts Center. Providence is a 7.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
Georgetown Hoyas vs. Providence Friars ATS Preview
In the Hoyas last game, they were beaten by the No. 6 Xavier Musketeers, 96-91. Georgetown’s Marcus Derrickson recorded 19 points and 15 rebounds in the game. Xavier did a terrific job of making free throws (31-41; 75.6 percent). Georgetown, on the other hand, held the Musketeers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.0 (below their season average of 30.5).
The Friars hope to maintain momentum after narrowly defeating the Marquette Golden Eagles in their last matchup, 77-75. Providence received a boost from Kyron Cartwright, who put up 15 points and eight rebounds. Providence dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.2 (below their season average of 29.5) and a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 16.0). For those same stats, Marquette was 10.7 and 18.4, respectively.
Second-chance opportunities might be rare for Providence in this matchup. The Friars currently rank 181st in offensive rebounding percentage (29.3 percent), while Georgetown ranks 73rd in defensive rebounding percentage (74.0 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving Georgetown have gone under 55.6 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of Providence games have finished over. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (13-9 for Georgetown; 15-8 for Providence), but the Hoyas have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Georgetown is 9-9-1 ATS, while the Friars are 8-13.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Hoyas, it’s been Derrickson, who has averaged 18.6 points and 7.4 rebounds, while the Friars have received solid contributions from Alpha Diallo (16.8 points and 8.4 rebounds).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Friars won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Providence won 74-56. The Friars turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Hoyas. Providence had a rate of 12.4, while Georgetown posted a mark of 18.9.
Georgetown Hoyas at Providence Friars Free Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Georgetown, O/U – Over
- The Friars rank 184th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8) while the Hoyas rank 261st (25.2).
- Providence ranks 66th in blocks per game (4.1) while Georgetown ranks 116th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Georgetown is 5-1-1 ATS on the road, while Providence is 4-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Hoyas 7 road games, while 7 of the Friars 10 home games have gone over.
- Georgetown ranks 24th in rebounds per game (39.7) while Providence ranks 163rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- The Friars rank 72nd in steals per game (7.0) while the Hoyas rank 192nd in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- Georgetown ranks 13th in assists per game (17.5) while Providence ranks 113th in assists allowed per game (12.9).
- Providence is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgetown is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Friars have been outscored by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Providence has defeated opponents by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Hoyas have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 86.4 points per game (12.8 above their season average).