Big East foes will collide when the St. John’s Red Storm (10-6, 0-4 Big East) go head-to-head against the Georgetown Hoyas (11-4, 1-3 Big East) at Madison Square Garden. St. John’s opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 150.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Georgetown Hoyas vs. St. John’s Red Storm Odds Preview
In the Hoyas’ last contest, they were blown out by the Creighton Bluejays, 90-66. Kaleb Johnson put together a solid performance for Georgetown, putting up six points and 10 rebounds. Creighton made 16 of their 36 three pointers (44.4 percent). Georgetown, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (14-17; 82.4 percent).
The Red Storm are trying to rebound after their 91-74 loss to the DePaul Blue Demons in their last game. Bashir Ahmed led St. John’s in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting. DePaul did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (22-29; 75.9 percent). St. John’s, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 14.0).
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the NCAA’s best defenses face off. St. John’s ranks 51st in defensive efficiency (95.4) and Georgetown is 47th (95.4). It could also be a sloppy game for the Hoyas offense, which ranks 307th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.6 percent). They’ll be going up against the top-notch defense of the Red Storm, which forces the eighth-most turnovers in the nation (25.2 percent).
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Georgetown games have gone under 63.6 percent of the time, while 58.3 percent of St. John’s games have gone under. The Hoyas hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (11-4 vs. 10-6), but the Red Storm have been superior against the spread (ATS) (6-7-1 vs. 5-6-1).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Red Storm won two out of three meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, St. John’s won 74-73. The Red Storm dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 9.6 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.377. The Hoyas put up marks of 15.7 and 0.237, respectively, for those same stats.
Georgetown Hoyas at St. John’s Red Storm Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgetown, ATS Winner – Georgetown, O/U – Under
- The Red Storm average 22.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 123rd in the nation. The Hoyas rank 216th in three pointers allowed per game (25.0).
- Both of these teams are exceptional at blocking the ball. St. John’s is eighth in the nation with 6.3 blocks per game while Georgetown is 42nd with 4.6 blocks per game.
- On the road, Georgetown is 2-0-1 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- St. John’s is 3-2-1 ATS at home with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Georgetown averages 40.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. St. John’s ranks 244th in rebounds allowed per game (39.8).
- The Hoyas rank 12th in assists per game (18.1) while the Red Storm rank 165th (12.9).
- St. John’s ranks 17th in steals per game (8.9) while Georgetown ranks 113th (6.2).
- St. John’s is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgetown is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Red Storm have been outscored by an average of 9.4 points in their last five games. For the season, St. John’s has defeated opponents by an average of 5.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Hoyas have scored an average of 79.8 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.0 points per game (7.1 above their season average).