Expect a shootout when the Marquette Golden Eagles (9-4, 0-1 Big East) and the Georgetown Hoyas (10-2, 0-1 Big East) clash at BMO Harris Bradley Center. Action begins at 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Georgetown Hoyas vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Odds Preview
In the Hoyas last game, they lost a tough one against the Butler Bulldogs, 91-89. With 23 points on 8-for-10 shooting, Marcus Derrickson led Georgetown in scoring. Butler had a much better turnover percentage (12.6 vs. 20.7). Georgetown, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (28-35; 80.0 percent).
The Golden Eagles are hoping for a better outcome after their 91-87 loss to the No. 6 Xavier Musketeers in their last game. Andrew Rowsey was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 11-for-24 shooting. Xavier did an excellent job of making free throws (22-24; 91.7 percent). Marquette, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.7 vs. 13.3).
This showdown pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Marquette ranks 22nd in offensive efficiency and Georgetown is 27th in defensive efficiency. Moreover, the Hoyas are among the nations best at getting to the line, ranking 11th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.328). The Golden Eagles, meanhwile, rank 277th in opponents FTA rate (0.275).
Sam Hauser has been excellent over the last five games for Marquette, averaging 18.2 points and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Hoyas won the most recent matchup 80-62. The Hoyas played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.7 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.593. For those same stats, the Golden Eagles put up marks of 16.2 and 0.445, respectively.
Georgetown Hoyas at Marquette Golden Eagles ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgetown, ATS Winner – Georgetown, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles rank 34th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Hoyas rank 88th (6.3).
- Both of these teams are great at blocking the ball. Georgetown is 33rd in the NCAA with 5.2 blocks per game while Marquette is 54th with 4.5 blocks per game.
- Georgetown ranks 14th in rebounds per game (41.4) while Marquette ranks 245th (32.1).
- The Golden Eagles rank 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.6) while the Hoyas rank 207th (19.5).
- Georgetown ranks 13th in assists per game (18.7) while Marquette ranks 143rd in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- The Golden Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.0, up from 8.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hoyas have scored an average of 83.0 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (5.7 above their season average).