A10 foes will collide when the Massachusetts Minutemen (7-7, 0-1 A10) challenge the George Mason Patriots (6-8, 0-1 A10) at William D. Mullins Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137.5 points with Massachusetts set as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
George Mason Patriots at Massachusetts Minutemen Betting Preview
The Patriots were blown out by the Rhode Island Rams in their last game, 83-64. With 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting, Justin Kier led George Mason in scoring. Rhode Island had a turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 13.7). George Mason, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.169 vs. 0.130).
In the Minutemen’s last matchup, they were thoroughly outplayed by the St. Bonaventure Bonnies, 98-78. With 16 points and seven rebounds, Massachusetts Malik Hines played well. St. Bonaventure made good use of their 25 trips to the free throw line, converting on 20 of them (80.0 percent). Massachusetts, on the other hand, was just 10-18 (55.6 percent).
Points at the line might be rare for Massachusetts in this meeting. The Minutemen rank 307th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.189, while George Mason ranks 84th in FTA rate allowed (0.200).
Of George Mason’s 10 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of Massachusetts 11 games have finished under the projected point total. The Minutemen come into this game with a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-7 SU and 6-5 ATS, while the Patriots are 6-8 SU and 3-7 ATS.
Kier has been playing at a high level over the last five games for George Mason, averaging 13.4 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Patriots won both games last season. In the last matchup, George Mason won 76-74. The Patriots dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.233 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4. For those same stats, the Minutemen put up marks of 0.119 and 29.5, respectively.
George Mason Patriots at Massachusetts Minutemen ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Massachusetts, ATS Winner – George Mason, O/U – Under
- The Minutemen rank 87th in blocks per game (3.7) while the Patriots rank 99th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- George Mason ranks 124th in steals per game (6.1) while Massachusetts ranks 132nd in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- George Mason is 3-3 ATS on the road, while Massachusetts is 3-2 ATS at home.
- The Patriots have 3 overs and 3 unders in 6 road games.
- Of the Minutemen’s 5 home games, they have 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Massachusetts ranks 59th in assists per game (15.9) while George Mason ranks 233rd (10.9).
- The Minutemen rank 33rd in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while the Patriots rank 172nd (23.0).
- Massachusetts ranks 46th in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while George Mason ranks 137th (35.2).
- Massachusetts is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, George Mason is 0-3 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Minutemen’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Patriots have scored an average of 66.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.6 points per game (1.5 above their season average).