The Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs (3-8) can put an end to a seven-game road losing streak when they challenge the Hampton Pirates (4-7) at Hampton Convocation Center. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 17, 2017.
Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs vs. Hampton Pirates Odds Preview
The last time the Runnin’ Bulldogs played, they were blown out by the Maryland Terrapins, 82-60. Daniel Laster had a solid game for Gardner-Webb, leading both teams in scoring with 21 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Maryland had an effective field goal percentage of 0.636 (above their season average of 0.568). Gardner-Webb, on the other hand, held the Terrapins to an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (below their season average of 39.6).
The Pirates are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-75 loss to the Missouri State Bears in their last outing. Jermaine Marrow was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Missouri State held the Pirates to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 31.6). Hampton, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.5 vs. 13.2).
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this matchup that showcases a pair of the nations more up-tempo teams. Hampton currently ranks 47th in possessions per game (74.1) and Gardner-Webb is 53rd (73.8).
Greg Heckstall has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Hampton, averaging 9.2 points, 6.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Runnin’ Bulldogs won the lone contest played against each other last season, 69-63. The Runnin’ Bulldogs played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.4 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.4. The Pirates were 19.6 and 21.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs at Hampton Pirates Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- The Pirates average 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 55th in the nation. The Runnin’ Bulldogs rank 138th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Hampton averages 5.3 steals per game, which ranks 173rd in the NCAA. Gardner-Webb ranks 195th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- Hampton averages 41.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 15th in the nation. Gardner-Webb ranks 187th in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- The Pirates average 14.7 assists per game, which ranks 95th in the nation. The Runnin’ Bulldogs rank 215th in assists allowed per game (16.3).
- Gardner-Webb ranks 152nd in three pointers attempted per game (21.5) while Hampton ranks 243rd (18.1).
- The Pirates average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Runnin’ Bulldogs have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 81.8 points per game (1.1 above their season average).