An eight-game home winning streak is on the line for the Wofford Terriers (11-5, 2-1 SoCon) when they clash against the Furman Paladins (13-4, 4-0 SoCon) at Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points with Furman opening as a 1-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Furman Paladins at Wofford Terriers Odds Preview
In the Paladins last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Chattanooga Mocs, 73-55. Matt Rafferty led Furman in scoring with 17 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Furman played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 34.6 (above their season average of 30.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.616 (above their season average of 0.551). Chattanooga was 13.8 and 0.490, respectively, for those same stats.
The Terriers hope to maintain momentum after narrowly defeating the Harvard Crimson in their last game, 63-62. Wofford was lifted by Fletcher Magee, who led the team in scoring with 19 points on 5-for-18 shooting. The Terriers knocked down 12 of their 14 free throws (85.7 percent) and held the Crimson to an effective field goal percentage of 0.440 (below the 0.528 mark opponents have averaged against Wofford this season).
This matchup pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Wofford ranks 43rd in offensive efficiency and Furman is 40th in defensive efficiency.
Of Furman’s 11 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the O/U total, while 4 of Wofford’s 10 games have finished over the O/U total. The Paladins hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-4 SU and 8-2-1 ATS, while the Terriers are 11-5 SU and 5-4-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent game, the Paladins won 78-69. Furman had a better turnover percentage (11.4 vs. 15.0). Wofford, meanwhile, had a much better free throw rate (0.333 vs. 0.161).
Furman Paladins vs. Wofford Terriers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wofford, ATS Winner – Wofford, O/U – Under
- The Paladins rank 16th in steals per game (8.6) while the Terriers rank 102nd in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Furman allows the 20th-fewest blocks per game (2.4) while Wofford ranks 43rd (2.8).
- Wofford is 2-2-1 ATS at home, while Furman is 5-2 ATS on the road.
- The Paladins have 4 overs and 3 unders in 7 road games.
- The Terriers have 3 unders and 2 overs in 5 home games.
- Furman ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (29.7) while Wofford ranks 136th in three pointers allowed per game (22.2).
- The Paladins rank 142nd in rebounds per game (36.1) while the Terriers rank 256th (32.1).
- Furman ranks 31st in assists per game (16.8) while Wofford ranks 137th in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- Wofford is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Furman is 4-0-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Terriers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.4, up from 8.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Paladins have scored an average of 80.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.2 points per game (4.7 below their season average).