SoCon foes will collide when the Chattanooga Mocs (6-10, 0-3 SoCon) meet the Furman Paladins (12-4, 3-0 SoCon) at McKenzie Arena. Furman opened as a 7-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 139.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018.
Furman Paladins vs. Chattanooga Mocs Odds Preview
The Paladins won a close one over the Mercer Bears in their last matchup, 74-71. Daniel Fowler led Furman in scoring with 21 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Furman played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.3 (better than their season average of 15.4) and a free throw rate of 0.308 (above their season average of 0.196). Mercer was 20.9 and 0.264, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Mocs played, they were topped by the East Tennessee State Buccaneers, 85-66. Nat Dixon was the games high scorer with 20 points on 6-for-13 shooting. East Tennessee State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.619 (above their season average of 0.533). Chattanooga, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.254 (above their season average of 0.229).
The ineffective offense of Chattanooga will square off against the top-notch defense of Furman. The Mocs currently rank 276th in offensive efficiency, while the Paladins are 48th in defensive efficiency. The Paladins should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Of Furman’s 10 games with betting action, five have finished over the O/U total, while 7 of Chattanooga’s 12 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Paladins have a sizable advantage. They are 12-4 SU and 7-2-1 ATS, while the Mocs are 6-10 SU and 5-6-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after splitting two games last season. The Paladins won the most recent matchup 60-56. The Paladins played a perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.262 and a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.583. The Mocs were 0.227 and 0.523, respectively, for those same stats.
Furman Paladins vs. Chattanooga Mocs Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Furman, ATS Winner – Furman, O/U – Over
- The Paladins rank 31st in assists per game (16.9) while the Mocs rank 126th (13.9).
- Furman ranks 32nd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Chattanooga ranks 105th (3.9).
- Chattanooga is 1-4 ATS at home, while Furman is 4-2 ATS on the road.
- The Paladins have 4 overs and 2 unders in 6 road games.
- The Mocs have 3 unders and 2 overs in 5 home games.
- Furman ranks 21st in steals per game (8.6) while Chattanooga ranks 170th (4.9).
- The Mocs rank sixth in three pointers allowed per game (15.7) while the Paladins rank 121st (21.9).
- Furman ranks 120th in rebounds per game (36.3) while Chattanooga ranks 234th (32.4).
- Chattanooga is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Furman is 4-0-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Mocs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.6, up from 1.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Paladins have scored an average of 83.8 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (0.3 above their season average).