SoCon foes will collide when the VMI Keydets (5-6) go head-to-head against the Furman Paladins (9-4) at Cameron Hall. Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Furman Paladins at VMI Keydets ATS Preview
In the Paladins last matchup, they fell to the No. 21 Tennessee Volunteers, 66-61. Furman’s Devin Sibley had a good game, leading both teams in scoring with 22 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Tennessee held the Paladins to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 32.0). Furman, on the other hand, held the Volunteers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.411 (below their season average of 0.515).
The Keydets are hoping for a better outcome after their 75-65 loss to the VCU Rams in their last matchup. Garrett Gilkeson led VMI in scoring with 12 points on 4-for-8 shooting. VCU held the Keydets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.427 (below their season average of 0.505). VMI, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.0 (above their season average of 26.1).
It could be a sloppy game for the VMI offense. VMI ranks 309th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.9 percent), while the disruptive defense of Furman forces the 56th-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.5 percent).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Paladins won both games last season. In the most recent matchup, Furman won 80-52. The Paladins played a flawless game. They had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.588 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. For those same stats, the Keydets put up marks of 0.402 and 23.7, respectively.
Furman Paladins vs. VMI Keydets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Furman, ATS Winner – Furman, O/U – Under
- Furman ranks 12th in three pointers attempted per game (29.5) while VMI ranks 138th (22.2).
- The Paladins rank 28th in steals per game (8.5) while the Keydets rank 123rd in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Furman ranks 69th in assists per game (15.8) while VMI ranks 70th in assists allowed per game (12.0).
- The Keydets have outscored opponents by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. For the season, VMI has lost by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Paladins have scored an average of 87.6 points per game (7.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average).