SoCon foes will clash when the UNCG Spartans (14-5, 5-1 SoCon) meet the Furman Paladins (14-6, 5-2 SoCon) at Greensboro Coliseum. UNCG is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 129.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Furman Paladins vs. UNCG Spartans ATS Preview
The Paladins beat the Samford Bulldogs in their last matchup, 78-67. With 15 points, seven assists and six rebounds, Matt Rafferty had a solid outing for Furman. Furman dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.4 (above their season average of 29.6) and a turnover percentage of 7.0 (better than their season average of 15.3). Samford was 8.0 and 16.9, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Spartans last matchup, they topped the Mercer Bears, 70-66. With 17 points on 4-for-11 shooting, Francis Alonso was the top scorer from either team. UNCG’s 11.5 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Mercer, who had a rate of 23.4. The Spartans mark was better than their season average of 18.4, while the Bears was above their season average of 16.5.
This battle figures to be low-scoring as two of the nations premier defenses battle. UNCG ranks 10th in defensive efficiency (91.5) and Furman is 51st (96.4).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. Furman games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while games featuring UNCG have gone under 58.3 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (14-6 for Furman; 14-5 for UNCG), but the Spartans hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). UNCG is 8-4 ATS, while the Paladins are 8-5-1.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Spartans won the most recent game 73-52. UNCG was lights out from beyond the arc (12-28; 42.9 percent). Furman, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (17.0 vs. 23.9).
Furman Paladins at UNCG Spartans Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Furman, ATS Winner – Furman, O/U – Under
- The Spartans average 27.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 22nd in the NCAA. The Paladins rank 120th in three pointers allowed per game (21.6).
- UNCG is 10th in the nation with 2.2 blocks allowed per game while Furman is 37th with 2.6 blocks allowed per game.
- Furman is 5-3 ATS on the road, while UNCG is 4-2 ATS at home.
- The Paladins have 5 overs and 3 unders in 8 road games.
- The Spartans have 3 overs and 3 unders in 6 home games.
- Furman ranks 12th in steals per game (8.7) while UNCG ranks 162nd in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Spartans rank 17th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while the Paladins rank 141st (34.9).
- Furman ranks 36th in assists per game (16.4) while UNCG ranks 151st (13.4).
- UNCG is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Furman is 1-3-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.2, down from 10.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Paladins have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (8.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (1.3 below their season average).