The No. 21 Tennessee Volunteers (7-2) will try to snap the five-game winning streak of Furman when they welcome the Paladins (9-3) to Thompson-Boling Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 147 points with Tennessee opening as a 14-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Furman Paladins vs. Tennessee Volunteers Betting Preview
The Paladins defeated the UNCW Seahawks in their last matchup, 90-84. With 16 points and nine rebounds, Matt Rafferty played well for Furman. The Paladins had a superb free throw rate of 0.273 (above their season average of 0.202) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.682 (above their season average of 0.528).
In the Volunteers last game, they were defeated by the No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels, 78-73. Grant Williams was Tennessee’s leading scorer with 15 points on 7-for-15 shooting. North Carolina had an offensive rebounding percentage of 47.5 (above their season average of 36.6). Tennessee, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.9 vs. 17.5).
It could be a sloppy game for the Tennessee offense. Dating back to last season, Tennessee ranks 199th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.0 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Furman has forced the 51st-most turnovers in the NCAA (20.9 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Furman games have finished over 66.7 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of games including Tennessee have gone over. Both teams have outstanding straight up (SU) records (9-3 for Furman; 7-2 for Tennessee), but the Volunteers have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Tennessee is 4-3 ATS, while the Paladins are 4-2.
Furman Paladins at Tennessee Volunteers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Furman, ATS Winner – Furman, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Paladins rank 29th in steals per game (7.4) while the Volunteers rank 76th in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- Tennessee averages 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 15th in the nation. Furman ranks 59th in assists allowed per game (11.9).
- Tennessee ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.0) while Furman ranks 166th (2.3).
- The Paladins rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (25.2) while the Volunteers rank 146th (18.9).
- Tennessee averages 37.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 85th in the nation. Furman ranks 135th in rebounds allowed per game (33.0).