MWC foes will collide when the Utah State Aggies (8-7, 1-1 MWC) square off against the Fresno State Bulldogs (11-4, 1-1 MWC) at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum. Fresno State opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Fresno State Bulldogs vs. Utah State Aggies Betting Preview
The Bulldogs were victorious over the Air Force Falcons in their last matchup, 71-59. Deshon Taylor was the games leading scorer with 18 points on 4-for-10 shooting. The Bulldogs held the Falcons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 29.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.444 (below the 0.495 mark opponents have averaged against Fresno State this season).
In the Aggies last matchup, they were topped by the San Diego State Aztecs, 79-59. Sam Merrill was the games leading scorer with 18 points on 7-for-10 shooting. San Diego State held the Aggies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 28.1). Utah State, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.531 vs. 0.508).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Utah State ranks 251st in possessions per game (68.8) and Fresno State is 310th (67.3).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Fresno State have gone over 63.6 percent of the time, while Utah State games have gone under 58.3 percent of the time. The Bulldogs have the superior straight up (SU) record (11-4 vs. 8-7), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Fresno State is 5-6 ATS, while Utah State is 5-7 ATS.
Jahmel Taylor has been exceptional over the last five games for Fresno State, averaging 11.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Aggies won the lone contest played against each other last season, 78-65. The Aggies dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.744 and a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.628. The Bulldogs had marks of 0.350 and 0.367, respectively, for those same stats.
Fresno State Bulldogs at Utah State Aggies Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Fresno State, ATS Winner – Fresno State, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 32nd in assists allowed per game (11.1) while the Aggies rank 110th (13.1).
- Utah State ranks 50th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Fresno State ranks 96th (3.5).
- Fresno State is 3-2 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 1 under.
- Utah State is 2-3 ATS at home with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Utah State ranks 85th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while Fresno State ranks 231st (18.4).
- The Bulldogs rank second in rebounds allowed per game (28.6) while the Aggies rank 130th (35.0).
- Fresno State ranks 47th in steals per game (7.7) while Utah State ranks 138th (5.7).
- Utah State is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs, 1 under and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Fresno State is 0-3 ATS with 3 unders.
- The Aggies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 73.6 points per game (5.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.0 points per game (3.3 below their season average).