The San Jose State Spartans (3-20, 0-12 MWC), who are currently riding a 12-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Fresno State Bulldogs (17-8, 7-5 MWC) to San Jose State Event Center. Fresno State opened as a 13-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 140 points. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Fresno State Bulldogs vs. San Jose State Spartans Free Preview
The Bulldogs had no trouble getting past the San Diego State Aztecs in their last outing, 79-61. Jaron Hopkins was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Fresno State played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.203 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 13.3 (better than their season average of 15.4). San Diego State had marks of 0.125 and 20.6, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Spartans last game, they were blown out by the Colorado State Rams, 90-79. Keith Fisher III was San Jose State’s high scorer with 23 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Colorado State had a turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 16.0). San Jose State, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (16-22; 72.7 percent).
It could be a difficult game for San Jose State on the offensive glass. The Spartans rank 163rd in offensive rebounding percentage (29.7 percent), while Fresno State ranks 34th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.3 percent). Moreover, the Bulldogs’ 20th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 115.7) will attempt to exploit the Spartans 265th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 107.0).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games including Fresno State have gone over 57.1 percent of the time, while San Jose State games have finished under 59.1 percent of the time. The Bulldogs hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (17-8 vs. 3-20), but the Spartans have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (10-12 vs. 9-12).
Ryan Welage has taken his game to another level over the last five games for San Jose State, averaging 22.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Bulldogs won the last game 77-59. The Bulldogs played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 and a turnover percentage of 15.3. For those same stats, the Spartans had marks of 13.3 and 27.3, respectively.
Fresno State Bulldogs vs. San Jose State Spartans ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Fresno State, ATS Winner – Fresno State, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs allow the seventh-fewest rebounds per game (30.0) while the Spartans rank 32nd (31.6).
- Fresno State is 5-5 ATS on the road with 8 overs and 2 unders.
- San Jose State is 6-4 ATS at home with 6 unders and 4 overs.
- Fresno State ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (18.7) while San Jose State ranks 280th (26.7).
- The Bulldogs rank 19th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Spartans rank 212th (7.8).
- Fresno State ranks 63rd in assists allowed per game (12.1) while San Jose State ranks 237th (15.7).
- San Jose State is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Fresno State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spartans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 8.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average).