The Pirates of East Carolina (+15.5) are gearing up to welcome the North Carolina Tar Heels (-15.5) to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. The afternoon game is scheduled to kick off at 3:30 p.m. ET and ESPNU will televise the action.
Betting Preview: East Carolina Pirates vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
East Carolina is a live dog in this one and is currently getting 15.5 points. The Tar Heels are also receiving -945 moneyline odds while the Pirates are +600. Vegas has set the over/under (O/U) at 59 points. If North Carolina allows points early, it’ll likely result in a decent live betting opportunity.
The game’s total has not changed after being set initially at 59. Having said that, the opening line was 14 and square bettors are siding with the Tar Heels.
The Tar Heels have lost 1.0 unit so far in 2018 and are 0-0-1 against the spread (ATS). The team’s recorded an O/U mark of 0-1.
The Pirates have been a disappointment to moneyline bettors this season, losing 5.5 units. The team is 0-1 ATS and also has an O/U record of 0-1.
The Tar Heels have gone 0-1 straight up (SU) in 2018 while the Pirates are also 0-1 SU.
The Heels are aiming to bounce back from a 24-17 defeat to California last week. The Heels defense allowed the Golden Bears to run for 160 yards on 49 rush attempts, along with one rushing TD. Offensively, Nathan Elliott completed only 15-of-35 passes for 137 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. Antonio Williams (47 rushing yards on 17 attempts, one TD) and the signal-caller Elliott (58 yards on 10 carries) mounted the ground attack. Anthony Ratliff-Williams (three receptions, 62 yards, one TD) and Williams (three catches, 26 yards) handled the receiving duties in the defeat.
East Carolina just dropped a 28-23 game to North Carolina A&T. Reid Herring completed 37-of-65 passes for 309 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. Anthony Scott (34 yards on 12 rush attempts) and Trace Christian (20 yards on 10 carries) mounted the running game as Terrell Green (10 receptions, 85 yards) and Blake Proehl (nine catches, 65 yards, one TD) led the pass-catching attack in the loss..
North Carolina Tar Heels vs. East Carolina Pirates Bedding Prediction
SU Winner: North Carolina, ATS Winner: North Carolina, O/U: Over
Team Betting Notes
- East Carolina has lost one fumble this season while North Carolina has yet to let any get away,
- The Tar Heels created 17 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Pirates put up 10 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Tar Heels registered 4.1 yards per carry last season while allowing a YPC of 4.8 to opponents.
- The Pirates registered 3.3 yards per carry last season and gave up 5.9 yards per rush attempt to opponents.
- The Tar Heels offense allowed 30 sacks last season. Their defense created 23 sacks.
- Pirates quarterbacks were sacked 15 times last year. Their defense forced 11 sacks,
- The Tar Heels threw for 21 passing touchdowns last season.
- The Pirates recorded 26 passing touchdowns last season.
- The North Carolina defense has 4 sacks on the year while East Carolina has one.