Expect a shootout when the Fort Wayne Mastodons (16-10, 5-4 Summit) and the South Dakota Coyotes (20-6, 8-2 Summit) face off at Sanford Coyote Sports Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018.
Fort Wayne Mastodons at South Dakota Coyotes Odds Preview
The last time the Mastodons played, they dismantled the Denver Pioneers, 91-63. With 18 points, eight rebounds and six assists, John Konchar put together a solid performance for Fort Wayne. Fort Wayne played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 15.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.631 (above their season average of 0.533). For those same stats, Denver recorded marks of 26.9 and 0.530, respectively.
The Coyotes hope to keep it rolling after topping the North Dakota State Bison in their last matchup, 76-72. With 21 points on 6-for-18 shooting, Matt Mooney led South Dakota in scoring. South Dakota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.7 (better than their season average of 14.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.8 (above their season average of 31.1). For those same stats, North Dakota State put up marks of 22.8 and 22.2, respectively.
Based on each team’s statistical profile, ball security could play a key role in this matchup. South Dakota commits the 44th-fewest miscues in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while the pesky defense of Fort Wayne forces the 54th-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 21.7 percent).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Mastodons, it’s been Konchar, who has averaged 14.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 3.2 steals, while the Coyotes have received great contributions from Mooney (18.4 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 3.0 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Coyotes won 68-58. The Coyotes played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 32.5 and a turnover percentage of 15.8. For those same stats, the Mastodons were 21.4 and 19.1, respectively. In the loss, Bryson Scott led all scorers on the team with 26 points.
Fort Wayne Mastodons vs. South Dakota Coyotes Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Fort Wayne, ATS Winner – Fort Wayne, O/U – Over
- Both of these teams are exceptional at stealing the ball. The Mastodons are 11th in the nation with 8.7 steals per game while the Coyotes are 48th with 7.4 steals per game.
- Fort Wayne ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (27.8) while South Dakota ranks 220th (19.4).
- The Coyotes average 37.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 71st in the nation. The Mastodons rank 185th in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- Fort Wayne ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while South Dakota ranks 114th (3.4).
- The Coyotes’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, down from 12.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mastodons have scored an average of 83.6 points per game (1.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (1.3 above their season average).