The Akron Zips (3-2) will be at home in James A. Rhodes Arena when they go head-to-head against the Fort Wayne Mastodons (6-3). Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017.
Fort Wayne Mastodons vs. Akron Zips Betting Preview
The Mastodons were victorious over the SIUE Cougars in their last outing, 86-71. Bryson Scott was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Fort Wayne dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.295 (above their season average of 0.195) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 51.6 (above their season average of 31.9). For those same stats, SIUE was 0.086 and 30.2, respectively.
The last time the Zips played, they were topped by the Marshall Thundering Herd, 86-64. Daniel Utomi led Akron in scoring with 15 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Converting at the free throw line was one of Marshall’s largest advantages. They were 16-20 (80.0 percent), while the Zips were just 10-19 (52.6 percent).
The sweet-shooting offense of Akron will battle against the mid-tier defense of Fort Wayne. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, the Zips offense ranks 35th in effective field goal percentage (0.548), while the Fort Wayne defense ranks 244th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.516). The Zips figure to have the edge on that side of the ball. This contest should be a showdown of contrasting paces. The up-tempo Mastodons rank 16th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Zips rank 277th.
Fort Wayne Mastodons vs. Akron Zips Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Mastodons rank 14th in assists per game (17.2) while the Zips rank 123rd (14.1).
- Akron ranks sixth in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Fort Wayne ranks 24th (2.6).
- Akron ranks 17th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while Fort Wayne ranks 291st in three pointers allowed per game (24.9).
- The Mastodons rank 29th in steals per game (7.8) while the Zips rank 208th (5.7).
- Fort Wayne ranks 71st in rebounds per game (38.0) while Akron ranks 225th (34.6).