The Wake Forest Demon Deacons (8-13, 1-8 ACC), who are currently on a seven-game skid, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Florida State Seminoles (16-5, 5-4 ACC) to Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Florida State is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 158 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Florida State Seminoles vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons ATS Preview
The Seminoles were victorious over the Miami (FL) Hurricanes in their last matchup, 103-94. Phil Cofer was Florida State’s high scorer with 21 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Florida State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.509 (above their season average of 0.226) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.682 (above their season average of 0.542). For those same stats, Miami (FL) put up marks of 0.132 and 0.625, respectively.
In the Demon Deacons last game, they were topped by the Louisville Cardinals, 96-77. With 16 points and 13 rebounds, Doral Moore played well for Wake Forest. Louisville had a turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 15.0). Wake Forest, on the other hand, held the Cardinals to an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.3 (below their season average of 31.4).
The high-powered offense of Florida State will face off against the porous defense of Wake Forest. The Seminoles currently rank 23rd in offensive efficiency, while the Demon Deacons are 273rd in defensive efficiency. The Seminoles should have the edge on that end of the court.
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Florida State games have finished over 63.2 percent of the time, while 68.4 percent of games including Wake Forest have finished under. The Seminoles come into this game with a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-5 SU and 12-5-2 ATS, while the Demon Deacons are 8-13 SU and 6-13 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Seminoles, it’s been Braian Angola, who has averaged 18.4 points, 3.2 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Demon Deacons have gotten great contributions from Moore (12.6 points, 10.8 rebounds and 2.6 blocks).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Seminoles won the lone game played against each other last season, 88-72. The Seminoles played a flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.418 and a turnover percentage of 15.9. For those same stats, the Demon Deacons were 0.167 and 19.3, respectively.
Florida State Seminoles at Wake Forest Demon Deacons Odds Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Florida State, ATS Winner – Florida State, O/U – Over
- The Seminoles rank 55th in steals per game (7.3) while the Demon Deacons rank 146th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- Florida State ranks 31st in blocks per game (4.9) while Wake Forest ranks 102nd (3.6).
- Florida State is 6-3-1 ATS on the road, while Wake Forest is 3-6 ATS at home.
- The Seminoles have 6 overs and 4 unders in 10 road games.
- The Demon Deacons have 5 unders and 4 overs in 9 home games.
- Florida State averages 16.4 assists per game, which ranks 35th in the NCAA. Wake Forest ranks 195th in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- The Seminoles rank 81st in three pointers attempted per game (24.0) while the Demon Deacons rank 222nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.0).
- Florida State ranks 26th in rebounds per game (39.8) while Wake Forest ranks 124th (36.3).
- Wake Forest is 0-5 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Florida State is 4-1 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Demon Deacons average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seminoles have scored an average of 91.6 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.8 points per game (11.8 above their season average).