The Florida State Seminoles (17-7, 6-6 ACC) visit Notre Dame to play the Fighting Irish (14-10, 4-7 ACC) in what should be a high-scoring game. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Florida State Seminoles vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Preview
In the Seminoles last game, they fell to the No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers, 59-55. Florida State’s M.J. Walker had a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 10 points on 3-for-7 shooting. Virginia had a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 13.3). Florida State, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.289 (above their season average of 0.241).
The Fighting Irish will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Boston College Eagles in their last game, 96-85. Notre Dame rallied around T.J. Gibbs, who led the team in scoring with 28 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Notre Dame played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 13.5) and a free throw rate of 0.305 (above their season average of 0.236). For those same stats, Boston College was 10.7 and 0.213, respectively.
It might turn into a high-scoring affair as a pair of the NCAA’s top offenses face off. Notre Dame ranks 40th with 113.4 points per 100 possessions and Florida State is 31st (114.2). It will also be a tale of two paces as the fast-breaking Seminoles rank 45th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Fighting Irish rank 294th.
Gibbs has really been playing well over the last five games for Notre Dame, averaging 18.6 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Fighting Irish won two out of three matchups played against each other last season. In the last contest, Notre Dame won 77-73. Notre Dame had a much better turnover percentage (12.2 vs. 21.9). Florida State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.0 vs. 8.6).
Florida State Seminoles vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Florida State, ATS Winner – Florida State, O/U – Over
- The Fighting Irish rank 117th in three pointers attempted per game (23.0) while the Seminoles rank 202nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- Notre Dame ranks 41st in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Florida State ranks 95th (6.0).
- Florida State ranks 49th in assists per game (15.8) while Notre Dame ranks 170th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- The Seminoles rank 27th in rebounds per game (39.4) while the Fighting Irish rank 137th in rebounds allowed per game (34.3).
- Florida State ranks 29th in blocks per game (4.8) while Notre Dame ranks 133rd in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- The Fighting Irish have been outscored by an average of 8.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Notre Dame has defeated opponents by an average of 8.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Seminoles have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average).